Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Fun Party

Well, the ladies of our church survived our women's retreat.  We had a great time.  Our attendance was awesome.  We had only 16 signed up but we had up to 24 women there at one time.  It was so neat to be "away" but not one hundred miles away, you know.  I was only about eight miles from home, but my cell phone reception was terrible and so contact with my family was very limited.  I will say that by Sunday morning, I was definitely ready to see my clan.

The food was excellent if I do say so myself.  We had tacos on Friday night, a continental type breakfast on Saturday morning, soup and sandwiches for lunch and pork loin, green beans, hashbrown casserole and salad for supper.  Sunday morning we ate a brunch-type breakfast around 10 consisting of biscuits and gravy, sausage/egg casserole, blueberry and banana baked oatmeal and frozen fruit.  Do I even need to mention all the snack food we had?  Or that we had ice scream sundaes for dessert Saturday night while watching a hilarious Anita Renfroe DVD?  No, I probably shouldn't. 

I am quite certain I gained at least five pounds this weekend...so certain that I did not even step onto the scale before my shower this morning, which is my normal routine.  I don't need to see the numbers to know the obvious...my slacks are a little snug this morning.  It is probably a good thing that there is a volleyball game tonight and I'll miss weigh-in!

But I suppose God will forgive my weight gain...hopefully, Gina (my Weight Watcher's leader) will too  because, after all, I was spending the weekend with my church ladies, delving deep into God's word...as I was also delving deep into that ice cream sundae with hot fudge. We didn't study self-control and discipline this weekend, maybe that would be a good topic for next time...ha!

As usual, the afternoon Scavenger Hunt on Saturday brought out the competitiveness in some of us.  We can get a little vicious when it comes to games.  And since I was the creator of the hunt, I got to have fun with them when deciding what worked...I think my team won :)

Our sleeping arrangement was awesome, there were 14 of us lined up in beds in the loft of the barn; others were scattered about downstairs.  I slept so sound the first night, sharing an air mattress with my friend "Beth," that I didn't notice her frequent trips to the john.  (She drinks way too much water after 4:00 p.m. hint-hint)  The second night I didn't sleep quite as sound and made an important discovery...The grandmother to one of our youth girls talks in her sleep...which explains where the granddaughter gets it.  It was just a couple words as opposed to the granddaughter's complete conversation (which is hilarious).  The grandmother was alarmed when I said, "I now know where your granddaughter gets the talking in the sleep."  Grandmother was quick to say, "Oh, I know it's her mother."  Ha, "Oh, no, it was all you.  Mother was downstairs sleeping last night when I heard it come from YOUR bed!"  She was shocked and looked as though she thought I was making it up.  Nope, Scout's honor.

Our talent show was short and sweet...and funny...and amazing to hear the beauty of a voice...I say amazing because why can't mine do that?  I wish it did...unfortunately, it takes more than a simple wish to create that kind of sound.  Maybe next time others will work on their hidden talents and share them with us.  And hopefully next time a few women who were unable to come for whatever reason will be able to join us.

I'm guessing there will be another women's retreat...and I hope it is just as rewarding as this one.  It was a fun party!

No comments: