Saturday, January 7, 2012

HuMonGoUs BeAsT we LOVE

Hank the Tank II is absolutely a humongous beast of a dog.  He will be six months old on January 10 and he is close to 80 pounds.  He is quickly becoming the biggest dog (minus the first bloodhound, dog number...I've lost track, but his name was Buster) we've ever had.

One of my most favorite things about Hank the Tank II is his love for Lane.  They are like two peas in a pod.  Fortunately for Lane, Hank has almost gotten over playfully scratching him because for a while, a little romp on the floor with Hank equalled Lane sporting a few large scratches across his face or chest.  Those two will get on the floor and wrestle and roll around and run and play.  Hank even lets Lane ride him like a horse.  It is hilarious.

Hank has taken a liking to comfort.  He prefers the couch or recliner as opposed to a dog bed, floor or blanket.  He used to love curling up in Lane's beanbag, but he's almost outgrown that.  Every morning, just like Hank the Tank I, Hank II can be found either sprawled out on the couch or curled up in the recliner.  Last night, Madolyn and I were sitting on the couch studying together and he kept stalking us...circling the living room, staring at us...and we figured it out...when he jumped up on the couch and squeezed all 80 pounds into a space about the size of a shoe box...and was perfectly comfortable with half his body smashing half of mine.  He went straight to sleep.  We were on HIS couch and he was needing rest.  Poor baby.

Hank prefers to be on top of whatever is in front of him or in his way.  We were sorting presents before Christmas and the kids had made piles so I could figure out what bunch went where.  Hank would plow through the living room and instead of taking the open paths, he'd forge ahead, across and over the piles of presents.  Didn't bother him a bit.  If Lane is lying on the floor or in bed and Lane wants Hank to come snuggle...Lane will holler and Hank will come barrelling over and sit right on top of Lane...literally, right on top of him.  And then he just sits there...as if he's not sitting on top of someone's face or neck.

Lately his big thing has been the trash.  He simply loves kleenex and wrappers.  We blow our noses A LOT and there are always lots of kleenex in the trash cans in every room...I can come out first thing in the morning, and although Hank is snoozing (and snoring) away on the couch, there will be about a dozen kleenex ripped to shreds and their remnants all over the living room floor. 

Candy and wrappers have been an issue.  The other day Hank kept coming out with gumballs.  One after another.  Someone would retrieve the gumball, throw it away and not ten minutes later, he was out with another one.  Each time, Jay or I would tell the kids "Pick up the candy - Hank is getting it somewhere."  And because our children are perfect, we assumed they did as we asked...and then Hank would walk out with yet another red, green or white gumball.  Finally, I went in search of the candy stash...because the kids were acting as if they couldn't possibly figure out where the gumballs were coming from...right in the middle of Lane's floor was a huge pile of gumballs, chocolate, Bazooka bubble gum, etc. 

So I will take away from Hank a piece of trash, wrapper, gumball, etc...and he will follow me or watch me as I get rid of it...and then not five minutes later, he will walk out with that very piece of trash, wrapper or gumball.  You just can't help but laugh  Of course, I know what you're saying...how dumb can you be...put it where he can't get it.  I know, I know...I'm a work in progress. 

About a week ago, he ate a squishy rubber lizard (about 8 inches long, stuffed with these little white beads)...completely, not one scrap left.  One minute the kids and I were playing Scrabble on the floor and he was beside us chewing on the lizard...a few minutes later, the lizard was gone.  Uh-oh.  We couldn't decide if we should try to make Hank puke or not, but we didn't.  Then I worried that he wouldn't be able to poop it out...but he's still ticking so it must have went down okay.

Hank the Tank II is for sure a humongous beast, but we are so in love with that chocolate chunk of love...and he is still absolutely precious.

2 comments:

apronsandappetites said...

I love this scripture! I make goals every year, not resolutions necessarily, but goals that I want to achieve. This year I have several again. Of course, losing weight is one of them. :)

Kathy said...

I love this post!! I can just see Hank doing all this stuff. Keep us posted on the passing of the lizard. HA!! (We once saw our yellow lab pass a ball of foil he'd eaten... tell me THAT didn't hurt a little!) ;-)