We have had several dogs, as you well know...and we have loved every one of them (well, almost) and each of them have had a few unique characteristics. We have recently discovered one of Hank the Tank II's unique traits... He has a passion for fruit.
A couple of weeks ago, I had a boatload of groceries from Sam's in the back of my car and I was in a hurry (shocker). I pulled into the garage and quickly got out to unload the groceries because we had to immediately leave again. I opened the liftgate of my car and the grapes fell out. A few scattered around on the ground and I didn't think anything of it. I did not have time to gather all the loose grapes...so the Precious took care of it. He ate every one of them. I was a little surprised.
Last week Jay was sitting in the recliner eating grapes. Hank II was at the foot of the chair begging. Jay offered him a grape and he ate it. So Jay gave him another one and another one and another one. Hank loved them. I told Jay about watching him eat the grapes off the garage floor. We laughed, haha, our dog is so precious, and he loves fruit.
Last night, Jay was again sitting in the recliner eating fresh pineapple and the beggar came to his feet. Jay offered him some pineapple and he accepted. He loved it. He ate a bunch of pineapple. So I posted on my Facebook that our dog loves fruit and how I thought it was weird. (Of ALL of the dogs we've had...none have been fruit eaters.)
Ha, the joke is on me, of course. As a couple of my Facebook friends posted, grapes are poisonous to dogs. Yes, of course they're poisonous...geesh! Tonight at supper, I was telling my parents about Hank and eating fruit and the Quackdaddy says, "Oh, grapes are one of the six things you should never feed to a dog." L-o-v-e-l-y. Nobody told me.
So tonight I'm sitting in Jay's recliner (haha Jay) and Hank is in position on the couch...I'm watching him wondering when he's just going to keel over dead from those stupid, poisonous grapes. Maybe grape producers should start posting warnings on their packaging so dog owners like me don't poison their dogs with something that is supposed to be healthy...ha, yes, that's the answer. Or maybe someone out there should write a "How to Keep a Dog Alive at the Wilhoit Ranch" manual. Come on, anybody?
1 comment:
Did you google that? I can't see that a grape would be poison to a dog. I'm going to check that out right now. :)
Post a Comment