Thursday, January 19, 2012

He's okay!

I could say "You aren't going to believe this", but as a friend of mine I'll call "Traci" has pointed out several times, nothing that happens at our house surprises her.  But seriously, I couldn't believe this...last night as we were leaving for youth at church, I ran over my sweet, precious, Hank the Tank II.  Abby has always chased me.  She doesn't chase anyone else, but me.  And if you recall, I ran over her on Christmas Eve 2010...but she survived, thankfully...and it didn't cure her of chasing me unfortunately.

Hank II has just started chasing Abby who is chasing me.  Sometimes Abby will attack Hank II to get him to stay back, but other times they make a run for it.  A few times I have tricked Hank by driving around our circle drives and eventually he will stop and pee and I can escape.  Last night, I told the girls that I would try to trick them with the circle drive and it backfired, horribly.  We heard the dreaded "thump, thump" and everyone started screaming (I had three girls in the car).

By the time we got out of the car, Hank II was on the step of the front porch by the door.  That, to me, was a very good sign.  He was holding up one hip/leg but other than that, was not too bad...that I could see, but I was a nervous wreck trying to decide what to do.  I called two vets that I had cell numbers for, no one answered...which is okay I suppose unless you are afraid your precious is going to die.  I called the church to talk to Jay and figured out a plan.  I took the girls to church, picked up Jay and went back to check Hank.

By the time we got home, he had walked all the way around the house to the garage and was in there with Abby and as we opened the garage door, he walked (slowly and painfully) out to greet us.  I took that as another good sign, but then when I heard him coughing and grasping for air...ah, I was sick.  I just knew I had punctured his lung or something. 

Thankfully, Mad's bff's grandma is a vet and she said we could bring him out for a look.  She looked him over and thought he would be okay until today when we could take him to the vet.  I prayed and prayed that he would make it through the night and he walked in our room and slept at the foot of the bed.  He had a long, restless night but was alive and well this morning.  He even went outside and peed and walked around following Lane while he fed the horses.  I took that as another very good sign.

Jay took Hank to the vet clinic and he got out of the truck and ran inside (slowly) but as if it was just another day.  They seem to think he'll be okay but kept him to let the vet check him out.  They let Jay bring him home a little while ago and prescribed some R&R, which he dearly loves.  Last night when I called and talked to the vet tech afterhours, I could detect the tone in her voice like, Oh, it's HER again and what the heck does she do to these animals?!  It's terrible.  It's awful. 

I swear that I have some sort of curse.  We were in our own driveway for crying out loud, 15 feet from our front door and I drove right over my precious.  Arrrh.  But as of about an hour ago, Hank the Tank II is resting comfortably at home with Jay.

1 comment:

apronsandappetites said...

I can only say, "That's what happens when one runs under car wheels." We had a lot of cats get killed in car motors in the winter months. When ya got animals around, poo happens.