...is what my Weight Watcher's leader, Gina, will say to me when I walk through those doors next Tuesday night. That is my plan anyway. I think I joined WW in 2008 (maybe) and was hooked immediately. Granted, I didn't have a ton of weight to lose, but the big thing for me was watching my daughter make the same horrible food choices I did. There is a bit of obesity in my family history as well. Those two things, together with my desire to just feel better, motivated me to join...and a good friend was going too, which always makes it easier!
I know that there is not a woman, man or child out there who enjoys 'dieting' and I would be the first to shout that out. It seems as if the moment I decide I can't have something, it is all I can think about. I become totally obsessed with whatever THAT is. Ugh. What I love, love, love about WW is that there is no forbidden fruit. You can eat whatever you like...as long as you account for it in your day. It is all on a point system. Every food and drink has a point value...it could be zero or it could be 20 (sorry). You get X amount of points per day and you can eat WHATEVER you choose as long as you stay within that amount of points. If you would like to blow your entire day on a piece of cake, you can as long as that cake is within your points. (Which could mean you are eating plain lettuce and broccoli for the rest of the day.)
Of course, it is a little more complicated than that...you get party points (as I call them) that you have each week for those times when you just go over. You get credit for exercise...the type and amount. Most fruits and veggies are now free, but that doesn't mean you can eat bananas all day...I kinda tried that and it sure didn't work. And if you smear peanut butter all over the banana or apple, that is okay...but the peanut butter is not ZERO points. However, it sure does taste yummy.
They do stress the importance of eating fruits, vegetables, whole grains, liquid, lean meats, oil...yes, oil. I was shocked to learn that it is important to have one (or two) teaspoons of a healthy oil every day (although I do remember Dr. Oz saying on Oprah that oil is important because it helps lubricate our system). The best way for me to do this...besides frying potatoes in olive oil (which is allowed - yes, potatoes are not forbidden) is to pop some popcorn and then drizzle a teaspoon of olive oil on it. It is very tasty actually.
I reached my goal a while back...and then let a few pounds (no, I'm not telling how many) creep back on me. I'm not beating myself up for it...yet...I just need to get back into the groove. I was sooooo amazed by how well it worked...if you follow their guidelines. It was such a great feeling to find something that actually worked and wasn't totally impossible. I stored away for future reference (this gig really works) on the off chance (oh yeah) that I would get off track and gain weight back...because who does that?
I haven't been exercising a whole lot, but have picked up my lunch time walking again. I am trying to sway back into the right eating patterns...although someone left about 15 cupcakes at my house this week and I have eaten four each night the past two nights (not kidding), plus we had this butterscotch pie from Gray Brother's that I ate most of...and I spent New Year's Day cooking...boo. But that is okay, I'm human and I can and will get back into a normal healthy eating pattern. Yes, I will.
I always gauge my out-of-controlness by my clothes. I feel like as long as my clothes fit, I'm okay. Funny, I noticed today that my black slacks are too short all of a sudden. They still fit around my midline, although a little snug, but they must have shrunk in length...ya think? Sure thing.
So as we begin the new year, I am resolving to get back on the Weight Watcher's Wagon. If you're looking for something that really works and is healthy, this is it. It costs $13 weekly or you can pay maybe $50 for a monthly pass and get the free e-tools, which are awesome. I know that it's not rocket science, and that some will say it is silly to pay for something that you can figure out on your own...yes, I've said that too...and guess what, it didn't work because I am the type that needs the support and guidelines they offer. I need the accountability that going to the meetings brings.
I will be writing a few posts on this subject and how our view of our body and food should be from God's standpoint. If losing weight and eating healthier is one of your goals for the year, Good Luck. I'll be praying for ya!
1 comment:
I look forward to your future posts about this. Accountability is HUGE! When I did Nanowrimo, it was something about going to the website every day and punching in the numbers that kept me at it. I can see how WW is kinda the same thing!
Post a Comment