Monday, January 30, 2012

Plum funny

Do not judge me...but I am a huge Janet Evanovich fan.  She has written several books, I haven't read them all, but my favorite series is about a bounty hunter named Stephanie Plum.  Stephanie Plum is not your typical bounty hunter.  She has no skills, no experience, she's a scaredy cat, she's always broke, her car is always getting blown to smithereens, etc.  But the books are absolutely hilarious and are laugh outloud funny.  Jay doesn't get that...he'll hear me laughing and he cannot understand how a book can be that funny.  I promise you, THEY ARE THAT FUNNY.

The way the characters are described, you can just picture them in your mind and hear them as they are talking.  Her family is a hoot...and I never, ever get tired of reading her books (she's up to 18 now).  Between the supporting characters and Stephanie Plum's own quirkiness, there is never a dull moment.  You will love Lulu, her sidekick, a retired lady of the night, (to put it nicely) and Grandma Mazur!  I kinda like Morelli myself, but don't tell Jay!

Now, I must admit her books don't exactly promote a Christian lifestyle.  She is divorced and caught between two men (in every sense of the word), there's swearing and not-so-nice talk.  But did I mention how hysterical they are?  If you really want to lighten your mood and think about nothing important, these are the books for you.  She just released Explosive Eighteen.  And the real exciting news is that One for the Money is now a major motion picture!  (I say major.)  It was released on the 27th of January and I cannot wait to see it.  I just finished reading Smokin' Seventeen and Explosive Eighteen to get me in the Stephanie Plum frame of mind and they did not disappoint.

Janet Evanovich has some other series as well, and she has even written a couple novellas that came out in between her main novels in the Plum sequence.  I would call the Stephanie Plum series a romantic comedy -slash- thriller with suspense.  Of course, it's thriller and suspense tangled up with lots and lots of humor. I'm telling you if you're looking for something to read that will make you laugh, here you go.  You will crack up, cry from laughing and even snort a time or two.  Yes, Jay, they are THAT funny.  

1 comment:

Beth said...

I have read all of the Stephanie Plum books and they are hilarious. Shortly after my husband died I read the first book in the series and I was sitting there reading and crying and laughing out loud all at the same time.

I saw the One for the Money movie last Friday and loved it.