Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:30-31 (NIV)
As I am sure many can relate to, the busiest part of the weekday is before 8:00 a.m. and after 4:00 p.m. I know that I'm not any busier than anyone else, and we all have things we could cut out...but we don't, we just keep on keeping on...and I do realize this is going to become my normal...as my kids get older.
We've had musical practices the past few weeks running three hours every night until 9:30 or 10 or 10:30. Thankfully, there were three of us who took turns carpooling the kids so that we could get some relief with the constant back and forth. I know I really appreciated the late-night pick up by the ladies when Jay was working nights...that way I didn't have to keep Lane up passed his bedtime to go retrieve the kids.
The musical performance was this past weekend and I am so relieved it's over with, along with everyone else, I am sure. It was also Spring Convocation for our denomination, which means that the high school and college age kids go to the hosting church for the weekend. Thankfully, a local church south of Casey was the host and I didn't have to drive super far to make the drop off.
So Friday night I made the rounds picking up the musical kids and a youth to take to Convo later on. I took them all to town, dropped off the musical kids and headed south to the hosting church for Convo. We made it there and then Lane and I left for Robinson. Jay was working nights this past weekend, and I had decided I really wanted to go to Robinson to the Maurices and return a shirt I bought and see if they had anything else, and ice cream was sounding really good...so off we went. By the time I got home, I had driven about 100 miles since I left work. Crazy. (The Robinson thing was totally on me though:)
Saturday morning, I got up and went to Terre Haute to meet friends for breakfast. Hurried back to meet cousins for lunch at Moonshine. Came home for about two hours, left to take Jay to town to retrieve his truck. Back home for a bit and back to town for the musical. After the musical, Lane begged to stay at his grandma's in town, so we dropped him off there. Madolyn and a friend were spending the night at another friend's house and they both needed clothes...sooo, we drove north of town to get clothes and then drove south of town to our house to get Mad's clothes and then onto the sleepover locale.
So after about 36 hours of almost constant driving, I made the last stop for the night, just about 10:00 p.m. I was so ready to come unglued as those girls climbed out of the car. It wasn't anything they had done or anyone in particular, I was just fried, spent, pooped, tired of driving and rushing. I just wanted to go to bed and read on my Nook. I just wanted to be out of the car for longer than like 2 or 3 hours. I just wanted to quit driving here and there and needing to be somewhere at a certain time.
And that's when the father stepped outside and thanked me for hauling his child around the past couple weeks, as a few of us had been helping out in bringing this one home after practices. He then went onto say that he has a pinched sciatic nerve and a herniated disk in his back, he's off work, without pay, and is going to be having surgery. I was quickly humbled.
As I pulled away, I felt like a heel. I was wanting to scream and shout and throw a tantrum because I felt like I had spent my entire day-and-a-half running for everyone else...and I was going home to crawl in a nice, warm, cozy bed, without any pain whatsoever. I was going to sleep, most likely all night, without taking pain medicines or having discomfort. Yes, I had been running like a mad woman, but my husband was at work, without pain, and with pay. In an instant, God put me right back in my place. I had only things to be thankful for...not to whine about...which I am quick to do. I did go home, crawl in bed and read my Nook. I am a lucky girl. But don't even ask me about Sunday...
1 comment:
Awesome post, my friend. God humbled me the other day as I was rushing to the next thing too... and I actually started to enjoy the running. For a little while. :-)
Post a Comment