I have to share this little story. I knew last week that our church was having a potluck on Sunday (yesterday) and I am all over the potlucks after church because you have to eat, right, so why not just eat at church and a) you get a bigger variety b) you don't have to clean up all by yourself, and c) there's good socialization, which I'm all over.
So I had decided that I was going to make some enchiladas to take, and I had a hankering for some chicken salad so I figured I'd go to the local IGA and buy some of their chicken salad because it is soooo good, grab some bread or buns and make some sandwiches. Lane & I had been to Sam's on Saturday morning and as I was grabbing a bag of flat buns, I saw the mini flat buns and decided, ah, yes, that's what I'll use for the chicken salad sandwiches. Good idea...I love those flat buns anyway!
Later that evening, Jay and I had a little date night and actually went to see a real movie at the movie theater. On our way home, I had him stop at the IGA and I ran in and grabbed some chicken salad and some "meat" a/k/a ham salad. Now, let me tell you, I don't know how much gold is running right now, but chicken salad is around $6 a pound and the "meat" salad was about that as well. I love the stuff though and have tried buying it other places and even tried making it myself...it's worth the $6 a pound. So I paid for the goods and we headed home to get our kiddos.
We stopped to pick up the kids from my parent's house, I was in a hurry because I wanted to get home and make those enchiladas so I wouldn't have to in the morning (since we lose an hour with the time change). The meat was in the crockpot and all I had to do was shred it, add a few things and wrap them up. We get home, I rush inside and begin the enchilada assembly line. I cover them up, throw them in the fridge and go to bed.
I slept like a baby, which kinda surprised me because I had been drinking pop at the movie, and just because I don't always sleep very good. When I wake up, I'm thrown at the time change and realize I have got to hurry to get to church. I go out into the kitchen and immediately see a plastic shopping bag on the table. What is that, I wonder? And then I realize, it is that high-priced chicken salad and meat salad! I had left it out on the table all night long. Ugh, I was sick. I had to throw it straight away. Bummer.
We get ready for church, I get the enchiladas and decide to take my mini buns anyway...just in case. I lead the beginning of church so I was telling them about leaving the almost-as-high-as-gold chicken salad out all night and pitching it because I love them enough to not give them food poisoning. After church, we head downstairs and eat. Several people are teasing me about how everything is good, but they really wish they had some chicken salad, and oh, it was nice of me to bring a bag of buns with nothing to go with it, etc.
I went over to peruse the dessert table and saw this unopened container with our preacher's last name on it. Ah-ha. I had noticed our preacher's son, David, bring a Tupperware container in and lay it down on the counter earlier. You must know that our preacher's wife is one of the best cooks ever. If she made it, it's good. And since it was on the dessert table, I was hoping it was her blonde chocolate chip cookie bars. I picked up the container and took the lid off.
Would you believe that inside that Tupperware container were stacks of mini flat buns (just like the ones I had bought) filled with chicken salad?! WHAT ARE THE ODDS of that happening? You know how there are always certain items at your church dinners...honestly, I have never seen chicken salad and flat buns there, ever...not only was it chicken salad, it was on the exact same mini flat buns that I had bought?! I took the container and started passing out the chicken salad sandwiches to everyone who had been teasing me....and grabbed one for myself, of course.
Divine intervention is what I'm talking about. Maybe the chicken salad I bought was contaminated or something. Maybe God just knew I had to have chicken salad one way or the other yesterday and he was tired of my whining, I don't know. But how cool is that?
No comments:
Post a Comment