Thursday, March 29, 2012

the Snapper

... Snapp...The other day I was taking my walk over my lunch hour and I passed the house of an elderly man.  He was mowing his yard (yes, it is March and we have started mowing).  I remembered this house and the little old man from last year and knew what kind of mower he had before I even saw it...he was cruising along on a Snapper just like my grandparents (paternal) had way back when.

And they didn't just have one Snapper lawnmower, oh no, they had two.  The new one and the old one.  Grandma rode the new one and Grandpa rode the old one.  It was a hoot to see them both on their little mowers going up and down the yard, passing one another, getting the job done in half the time.  The old one bucked as you let off the foot pedal, and it was hilarious.  When us grandkids were old enough, we fought over who got to ride the good Snapper, although it was really funny to buck that old one.

I didn't know anyone else who had a funny-looking lawnmower like my grandparents...although Grandpa tried to buy the best of something when he could afford it.  I suppose at one time those were the best lawnmowers.  They did seem to last a while.  I was delighted to see that older fella out on his Snapper mowing his yard the other day.  I loved the smell and the memories that trickled into my mind.  Good times...

No comments: