Monday, April 2, 2012

I want to be a Dandelion

Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes.   Eph. 6:10-11 (NIV)


free dand...
The other day as I was taking a walk, I couldn't help but notice those annoying, resilient, everywhere-you-look Dandelions.  In the past, Jay has spent all kinds of time, tracking them down in our yard and zapping them with potent weedkiller.  If he saw one poke up later, he would go out and attack it and its friends with a vengeance.  We did not want those pesky weeds flowers in our yard and we would not stop until we killed every one of them.

Dandelion...So as I was walking, all I could think was how it seems like no matter what you do to those stupid Dandelions, they come back.  No matter how much potent weed killer you put on them, they find a new place to sprout and grow.  I can take my little weed-digging tool out and dig them up from the root...and the very next week, a new plant will appear nearby.  I have even been so careful at times to make sure that there is no way the little seeds could have fallen from the dying Dandelion as I carried them off...because I certainly didn't want them to multiply.


I had to laugh...all this work to try and keep one of God's creations from growing.  And really it isn't like it's a thistle or thorn bush.  It is a flower with vibrant yellow petals beaming from all directions.  It doesn't really hurt anything either.  In fact, it even provides food to the bees...and if you have goats, they love them!

I considered it a moment and thought how a Dandelion can be a lot like the life of a Christian.  Oh, how I hope we are popping up all over the place, not deterred by the pesky weed killers (aka Satan) or the weed-digging tools (aka atheists and non-believers) that are determined to pick us out one-by-one.  How I would love it if everywhere you went, you would see Christians standing tall, reflecting the brightness of the Son, crowding out non-believers and those who want to destroy us, Christians strong enough to not let others prevent them from sprouting new growth.  We cannot let the world be stronger than we are...even as the lawnmower blades cut the heads from the top of the Dandelion, the roots remain strong and continue to grow. 

I want to be a Dandelion Christian...the kind that is persistent and resilient despite all the forces that are out there against us, standing tall and mighty wearing the armor of God. Won't you join me?

No comments: