Wednesday, March 21, 2012

the stinky

If you haven't caught on, everyone in our family has a nickname.  Madolyn is slowly growing out of her's...although sometimes it still fits...she was always "the Stinky."  When she was real little, it was hilarious to yell out "Stinky" in a crowd and see the expressions on people's faces...and then see Madolyn bounce on up to us.  Yes, there she is, ladies and gentlemen, our little Stinky.

This girl is a feisty one.  Always has been.  I'm starting to think she acts a little like her mom great grandma.  The stubbornness, the independence, the strong will...yes, I see a connection there.  I keep telling myself that I know I did not act like that ever more than a couple times here and there.

Watching her play volleyball this past year was the kicker.  While I was coming out of my seat, hanging on every bump, set or spike of the ball, Jay spent his time watching our daughter...whether she was on the bench or on the court, he watched her.  He would just crack up and elbow me, "Sarah, watch her, she is hilarious."  So I would and then I would realize it was like watching a video of myself.  She would do this little golf clap and grin when something good would happen.  She would stomp her feet and yell words of encouragement when something went south.  She would put her hands up to her face and give that "look" when she goofed.  And the big one...she kicks a leg up when she hits the ball sometimes.  Holy cow.  I cannot deny her.

We are now beginning those really tricky years, I know...the past 11 have just been a teaser, a little preview of the future.  Those first 11 were there to try to prepare us for the next seven.  I remind myself of that all the time when I think I want to...just scream.

Although we are alike in so many ways, we have several differences.  She has the most beautiful voice, I wish she felt more confident about using it though.  I really love to hear her sing.  Jay will play the Taylor Swift CD in the car 800 times just to hear her sing.  I will tell him, "Come on, not again," and he will whisper, "I want to hear the Stinky sing."  I guess I take it for granted because I hear it every single day, the same CD over and over whenever we're in the car.

Her fashion sense is unique.  Maybe mine was too.  We can walk to the same storefront display and I'll think to myself that is THE UGLIEST thing I have ever seen, and at that very moment, she will squeal and tell me how beautiful it is.  I suppose this is a good thing...she won't be asking to wear my clothes.

The girl loves jewelry and cannot seem to have enough.  Makes my head spin.  Thankfully, she is not into expensive stuff yet....it's just a constant struggle to find whatever piece she's looking for, to untangle it or dig it out of the washing machine.  I have earrings all over my car in every crevice.  Watch your feet :)

Her room is a total disaster.  I know that mine was never always like that too.  I try really hard not to harp on that because mine was horrible.  But this is the girl that used to clean and organize people's houses when we were visiting.  One time we were over at a lady's house and she started cleaning, she came and asked me (in front of the lady) about a dust rag because it was so dusty.  Oh goodness.  My mom and grandma used to call and ask to talk to Madolyn because she had been at their house and 'cleaned' and now they couldn't find something.  She was a little OCD but I think she has let that pass...too bad, it could've come in handy around our house!

I know that we are going to go around and around in the next few years, and there will be times I just want to scream (or worse), but I must remember that I probably acted just like her (maybe not that bad:)...and she'll always be our little Stinky. 

I just read a devotional last week from Proverbs 31 about a mother with a similar-sounding daughter and she seems to have turned out okay!  Her suggestion was to pray for your daughter to become the woman that God wants her to be, not what you want her to be.  Okay, God, have at it.  Help me not to interfere with the plans you have for my little Stinky!

No comments: