Thursday, March 1, 2012

Good book

I just finished reading a book on my Nook called The Emancipation of Robert Sadler.  It was about him growing up in the early 1900s as a slave.  He and his sisters were sold by their father when he was only five years old.  It was very good, I could hardly put it down.  In fact, I think I read it in less than 30 hours.  It was heartbreaking, yet also inspiring.  Because I cannot imagine that era and how things really were, it seemed unbelievable at times, yet I know it was true.

I think the thing that struck me the most was how I take for granted little things like speaking, writing, reading, picking up a bible if I want to, and just knowledge in general.  There was a point in the book where he saw a child's toy for the first time.  He had never seen a toy and he was less than ten years old.  How simple.  When told that only white people went to heaven, Robert believed it because he didn't know any better.  His mother's dying wish was that he would learn to read so that he could read a bible.  They didn't have one though, and Robert had no clue what a bible was. 

I know that there are places in our world today where situations are not a whole lot different than they were nearly 100 years ago as described in this book.  Again, it is unbelievable to me, yet I know it is true.  How sad that people still live in conditions similar to this.  I don't have a clue what it is really like, and neither do my kids...thankfully, I suppose.

I thought this story was an amazing example of perseverance, determination, hope and faith.  If you're looking for something read, check it out.

1 comment:

Andrea said...

I will be checking this one out. It sounds like an amazing book. Thank you for sharing!