All weekend I had been planning to make noodles for Thanksgiving. I kept telling the kids to be ready. They're my noodle cutters. Finally, after church and lunch on Sunday, I stirred up six eggs worth of noodles and started rolling them out. Madolyn had went down to the church to help cook the Thanksgiving meal for that evening so it was just Lane and I. As I was rolling them out, Lane kept asking to roll. I kept telling him I would let him try in a minute, thinking whatever he does, I'll have to redo because they have to be super-thin.
Well, he showed me. I caved and gave him a ball to roll out. He rolled and turned and rolled and turned and it was perfect so I just let him finish the rest of the rolling. Awesome. I went to the recliner to take a nap while they dried out a little. "Mom, when can we cut?" "Give it an hour or so. I'll tell you when." I fall asleep. Every little bit he wakes me up to ask if it's time...finally I told him he could start cutting. "Remember to cut them in half and roll them up like Grandma Great and then start slicing." And back to sleep I went in the chair. He took my Nook and had Pandora (the music station) pulled up on it and was listening to Christian music and singing, dancing and cutting. Last year, our music of choice was the soundtrack to Mamma Mia!
When I woke up, he had over half of them cut already. (I was only asleep for maybe an hour (in bits and pieces). I went over to help...and although they were wider than we usually have, he had done a terrific job. He said his thumb was sore and asked if I would finish cutting the rest of them. Sure thing, bud. So I cut and figured I wouldn't see him again...nope, he came back in and unrolled my cuttings...which is the part I really dislike. He was such a huge help...in fact, I almost feel like I helped him. We now have a nice batch of noodles ready for Thanksgiving on Thursday. I told him that some day, he will make his wife a very happy lady :)
1 comment:
Wow! What an awesome kid!
Post a Comment