Saturday, November 19, 2011

Going to the Rodeo

Someone who shall remain "Anonymous" had to point out on my Mother of the Year post that I had taken my child to a circus without pants...that is slightly untrue.  It was actually a rodeo.  So there.

When Lane was two or three years old, we decided we would take the kids to the local rodeo.  Jay and I had been to a couple rodeos and always enjoyed them, but we had never taken our kiddos and we had never been to the one just 30 miles away...so let's giddy up, partner and go!

We picked the date to go.  We knew our kids would be so excited.  Lane is a boot/shoe lover...my boy.  He loves shoes and boots of any kind.  I'm embarrassed to admit how many shoes he has...and he is a boy.  (It is a given for a girl to have many shoes, right?)  Anyway, his grandparents had gotten him new cowboy boots and he was so in love with them.  He put them on and didn't take them off for anything.  Lane was still at the age when he took big naps.  We knew he would need a big nap that day because of the rodeo later on.  I can still picture him (I think I actually have a picture) of him lying on his bottom bunk with his cowboy boots on and his "bunk" (aka his blankie) wrapped around his head/neck area, as he likes to do.

It was time to load up and head south to the annual Labor Day rodeo festivities.  We had to wake Lane up because he was still sleeping.  Somehow, someone (may or may not have been me) put him in the car as is.  And thankfully, we had remembered to grab Lane's cowboy hat.  Because who can go to the rodeo without a cowboy hat?  Duh. 

We pulled into the parking lot and started to unload.  Jay unbuckles Lane and asks me where his pants are.  I looked back at Lane and said, "Hey, bud, where's your pants?"  And you know how this conversation goes down:  Wife asks husband where the pants are.  Husband says he didn't get them because he thought wife did (because she does everything;)  Wife now realizes that she brought everything but the kitchen sink...and son's pants.  

Solution, Jay and Madolyn would get out, walk around and eat something delicious.  Mom and Lane would go to the neighboring town to Wal-Mart to buy a pair of pants.  When we got to Wal-Mart, Lane said to me something along the lines of "I can't go in there, I don't have no pants."  I wrapped his bare legs (what was exposed between boots and undies) with his "bunk" and off we went.  We quickly found a pair of jeans and made the purchase.  No need to bag these, cashier, we'll be wearing them out, thank you:)

Chalk another one up for me, I'm so gonna nail this Mother-of-the-Century thing!!

No comments: