Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Black Friday

Are you ready for Black Friday?  I think this is one of those things you either care about or you don't want anything at all to do with it.  Jay has some relatives that have camped out in their van in the parking lot all night before.  I'm not quite that dedicated...or nuts.  I am on the fence, however.  I have went out shopping on B.F. before and survived.  I have stayed home and survived...even survived the fact that I didn't save that extra two bucks and missed a bargain!

The key is this, you must say a huge prayer for patience, safety, common sense and kindness and then venture out knowing that people are going to be silly stupid and unkind.  The last time I went, I had no pressures, no major purchases I HAD to make and I just enjoyed myself.  I laughed at some, was amazed at others and just went with it.  I expected lines and rude people and I got what I bargained for.  I had fun finding some deals and eating lunch with a couple friends.  It was exhausting but an enjoyable experience.

One time a few years ago before we had the super Wal-Mart, I got up about 5:20, slipped on some decent crud clothes and headed to our WM in the next town.  It is about a 25-minute drive, one-way.  I stood in line for a few minutes until 6:00 a.m. came, went in, purchased the camera I wanted for someone and was back in bed by 6:30 a.m.  It was crazy.  That is what I call Black Friday shopping...ha.

I may venture over to my local Wal-Mart sometime Friday morning.  I'm still kinda up in the air about it.  I would love to have the little Shark steam mop for my kitchen.  Hank the precious Tank has destroyed my dust mop, my broom and my sponge mop.  I will have to keep this under lock and key obviously, but I think I need it, don't you?  It is only $38 on Friday too...you know, I have no idea how much it is otherwise, maybe I should check that out.
I saw on the news this morning that several Target workers were staging a protest because they don't want to open on Thanksgiving night at 10pm.  Oh my goodness.  Now I see that is happening everywhere, stores are opening up on Thanksgiving night!  What is wrong with people?  We are more concerned about shopping than spending time with our families.  I realize some of you would rather do anything but spend time with your family, but seriously.  We are out and about every day.  Would it kill us to sacrifice one day to our family?  Yikes. 

Shamefully, I must admit that one Thanksgiving we were sitting at my grandma's and we decided to run to K-Mart just for.  Another year the guys decided they wanted some meat slicer from Gander Mtn in T.H. that was crazy on sale, and then once they got there, it was a scam basically.   I can't say I'll never go again on Thanksgiving and I can't say I'll never go out on Black Friday.  It is kinda sad though that retailers are giving into our wants and forcing workers to come in to work.  Before we know it, it will be Black Thursday, then Wednesday, then Tuesday, then Monday...

All you Black Friday shoppers, Go get 'em...just remember my suggested prayer above!!!  Have fun.

No comments: