Right now I'm reading a hilarious e-book on my Nook and it's called "Imaginary Jesus." I wasn't too sure about it when I downloaded the book, but figured it was free, so why not. Then my coworker friend I call "Kathy" told me she was reading it and could not put it down, it was so funny. Hmm, okay, I'll give it a try. I am over halfway through it and it has been funny, interesting, thought-provoking, and oddly enough, true in many ways. It's all about how we come up with our own images of Jesus to fit our lifestyle and choices we make. For example, there is a TV Evangelist Jesus, an Eight-Ball Jesus (funny, he only answers as an eight-ball would), Free Will Jesus, Can't-See-The-Future-Because-It's-Unknowable-Jesus, Peacenik Jesus, King James Jesus, and the list goes on and on. If you happen to see this book, pick it up. It isn't too long and it's a hoot.
This past weekend I joined some friends and my mom (I guess she could be a friend too, huh?) and we went to see The Afters, Sanctus Real and Casting Crowns in Peoria. Yeah, I know that's a long haul, but CC doesn't come too close to us and they're worth traveling the distance for. I have seen them now three times and don't plan on skipping the next time they're near either!
Casting Crowns new CD is called "Come to the Well" and it has the song "Courageous" on it from the movie that is out right now. The first few songs on the CD are just amazing, but I'm one of those people who buys lots of CD's and listens to them non-stop over and over. This one is a good one. Mark Hall, lead singer and youth pastor, has written a book called "The Well" which is out right now too. During intermission, myself and two others went to a little pow-wow with Mark Hall, the drummer and other youth workers. We were given little goodie bags and it included a sampling of the new book. I read it and immediately ordered the full-length version. I'm hoping it arrives in the next day or two...then I'll tell you how good it was! It is all about the woman at the well...which you may have figured out by the title, ha.
Funny thing, we were trying desperately to locate a restaurant to eat at before the concert and the Riverfront in Peoria is not exactly a busy action-packed locale apparently. It was like ghost town USA or something. After we had parked and were walking down this completely empty riverfront sidewalk, my mom said, "Did we miss the rapture?" It was funny...and it was weird, desolate. I did spot a Hooters across the way, but for some reason, we decided to pass...ha. We see a couple restaurants nearby that are open and go in one.
Now, picture our local restaurants where you have to wait 60 minutes on a Saturday night to get a seat. Remember the line of people and crowds gathered near the entrance...Okay, we go into the first place and ask for a table for nine or split us up. We were told our wait would be 55-60 minutes. We were dumbfound as there was NO ONE gathered around anywhere near the entrance inside or out. Where in the world were all the people?
Restaurant choice number two was apparently having a pirate-costume party, but we decided to give it a shot anyway. It was a bar and grill. Again, no waiting, no one waiting, not one single person. Got it? Zip. We were told we would have to wait 20 minutes. We don't mind being split up, we need to hurry. It will still be 20 minutes. WOW. It was a Saturday night, but again there is NO ONE standing around waiting to get in. We decided to stay. About ten minutes into our patient wait, we were told we could go sit in the bar area...Okay, cool, we were all over it.
We made it to the concert in time and had great seats. It was an awesome evening of powerful testimony and praise. We had a safe trip home. The evening was a success. I ordered the Afters CD when I ordered "The Well" so I'm super excited about that coming in the mail soon. Let me know if anyone out there reads "Imaginary Jesus" I would love to hear what you thought about it.
No comments:
Post a Comment