“Keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you." Matthew 7:7 (NLT)
As you can imagine, the year Jay and I got married was an unforgettable year. Besides Jay totalling his truck the day before our wedding, I'm still convinced in an attempt to save himself, there are two really neat things that happened that summer that I will never ever forget. Today I will tell you cool story number one.
Early in the summer of 1995, there was a bridal shower at my church for me. I was so excited about all the gifts...I was 20 years old and other than living with a friend I'll call Brandi for nine months while going to school and pretending to live in Shelbyville for about three months, I had never really been out on my own. So all these gifts of household items were welcome. It was like Christmas. I had a couple friends of mine write on the back of the cards what the gift was so I could match them up later and do Thank You notes. Another perk about bridal showers is that often people give you good 'ole cash. I have no idea how much cash we got that day, but in my eyes, it was a lot. We put all the money in one of the envelopes and stuck it in a safe place.
The shower was over and we had loaded up everything in a couple cars and dropped it off at the trailer Jay and I had bought to live in after we were married. (Jay and Gunner, dog number one, were already staying there.) I can't recall exactly, but I'm sure I probably showed Jay a few of my favorite gifts of the day before going on home. The next day I came back to unpack things and organize all these awesome presents. It was so much fun, kinda like playing house or something. And then I remembered the good ole' cash. Now where was that envelope the money was in?
Snap. I looked everywhere for that envelope. I searched each and every box, container, trash can, nook, cranny, the car, my mom's car. I looked everywhere. We had a trash barrel out back and the thought occurred to me that it might have been mistaken for trash and burnt already. I was so upset. I know it wasn't enough money to save the world or anything, but people had given their hard-earned money out of the love in their hearts for us and I had literally just tossed it away carelessly. It made me absolutely sick to my stomach.
I checked all the trash cans again and sat down to relax a minute and clear my mind that was spinning. I know that at that time in my life I wasn't super strong in my walk with God, I mean, I went to church every Sunday without fail, but that doesn't mean much if that is the only time you're devoting to him, you know what I mean? But I decided that the only thing left for me to do was to sit down and just ask God to help me find the money. It seemed so silly, but that is what I did.
I got up and decided to go check those trash cans one last time because I just knew that I had not thrown that envelope away. I was confident that I hadn't been that careless. And would you believe, there leaning against the edge of a hunter-green plastic trash can was that envelope and money. Cool.
No comments:
Post a Comment