Sunday, November 13, 2011

Sweet 16

Lately my family has been making fun of me a lot (this is nothing new) because of my horrible driving.  I have never thought of myself as a horrible driver, in fact, just the opposite.  I have a pretty decent driving record (please, don't let that be a jinx) and feel very comfortable behind the wheel.  I have lots and lots of practice over the past 20 years too!!

Last night as my fam was picking on me, Jay just had to throw in that I had flunked my very first driver's test.  And that is true.  Thank you, Jay, my kids now have more ammunition to throw at me.

The day that I turned 16, my mom agreed to run me up to Charleston to take my driving test.  The same afternoon, I was to speak at the grade school, along with some other athletes, about peer pressure, drugs and/or alcohol, etc., to the students.  I can't remember what the program was or who was putting it on, but I had been asked and accepted the invitation...but first things first, I had to get my DL.

If you follow my blog, you may recall that I had been driving since I was about 14 because I lived on a farm and when farming season was in full swing, the best help I could give at the time was to be a chaueffer.  Take Quack here or there, take brother here or there, pick up Grandpa here or there.  It can be a constant shuffle of people, equipment and vehicles. 

Back when I was 16, our driver's ed teacher took us out driving just like they do now, but you had to go to a Secretary of State office for your actual testing.  We didn't have to all the required hours that they have to now.  I was pretty confident though of my driving skills.  Unfortunately, my 16th birthday fell on a day that our local Sec. of State's office was not open, which meant we had to go to the "big" city of Charleston if I wanted to get my license that day...and being the very impatient person I am, I wanted it THAT DAY.

So mom picked me up and we headed to Charleston.  We got in line and it was my turn.  I had a somewhat dry, crabby, older lady as my evaluator.  I was not going to let that get me down however.  What did get me down was an issue I had overlooked:  I had never ever driven in Charleston.  As soon as we pulled out onto the street and down to the traffic light, I realized this may have not been a good idea.  I pulled up to an intersection on the main drag, ran a red light and almost side-swiped a car.  She let me finish the test, but I knew good and well that I was not going to pass.  Why should I?  After the showing I had made, there is no way I should be rewarded with a license to drive.

We finished the route, came back to the SOS office and mom and I left, knowing I had to get back to the grade school for the talk.  We discussed it on our way out of town.  If I stayed and went out for a second try with another evaluator, they would let me take the test again, but I would miss the speaking engagement.  Of course, I begged mom to go back.  We turned around...I took the test and nailed it.  I even perfected the parallel parking and the parking-on-a-hill test.  I got my driver's license. 

And the moral of the story is...when it's time to take Madolyn for her driving test, we should probably practice driving in and around the town she will be testing in before she heads out...I know, good thinkin', right?

No comments: