Friday, October 28, 2011

Trunk or Treat


A few years ago our church started the Trunk or Treat tradition.  If you don't know what this is, here is a rundown.  We go ahead and hold our Wednesday night youth meal and everyone is invited to dress up for Halloween.  After supper, the kids/adults are taken outside where other members of our congregation are parked in the parking lot with their trunks open and decorated (back of truck, van, car, whatever).  Usually they are dressed up as well.

It was pretty successful the first year and last year was even better.  It is so fun to see the church get involved in something that some have all but outlawed because of evil undertones.  I like Halloween and do not see it as anything related to the devil, because I do not make it as such.  If I were worshiping at the feet of Satan on Halloween, it would be very different.  If I were dressing as Betty Rubble in the name of the Devil, it may be different.  I remember a little girl in Madolyn's class in second grade telling her it was the Devil's holiday.  Ahhh, what can you do?!  I see it as just a fun holiday tradition.  It is one that I thoroughly enjoy because I love dressing up and trying to be creative!

Our members go all out too.  I was amazed at some of them and their creativeness in decorating whatever car, truck or van they had.  My father-in-decorated his orange truck as a pumpkin, literally, it was so neat.  We've had some that have lights and music playing.  Most members are dressed up right alongside their decorated autos.  We load the kiddos up on sugar and lots of candy to take along and send them home.  Sometimes the younger groups do an activity too.  It is a great night.  Fun, safe fellowship.

Tonight we had to have the Trunk or Treat in the new basement.  It was a bummer, but thankfully, members still participated and did the best they could at dressing up and decorating their tables.  We still had good participation.  Most of the kids and almost all adults dressed up too.  It's so fun to see everyone get involved.  Usually the high school/college kids won't participate, but this year almost all of them did!!  I was proud of them for going with it.

Trunk or Treat 2010

Daphne & Freddie
 Last year the high school/college youth leaders went as Scooby Doo and the Gang, this year we are the Flinestones.  Our sweet Hank the Tank was supposed to come as Dino, but his fat, chubby body would not squeeze into the costume.  Our Bam Bam was recovering (thanks to the rain) from a busy harvest so he was MIA.  I'm not sure that anyone knew who I was without the rest of them, my costume was kinda strange.  And we soon figured out that the kids didn't really recognize the Flinestones.  They said, oh, yeah, when we told them, but it didn't come right to them.


Meet the Flinestones
 Since I have the whole picture thing on here figured out, I'm including a few pictures from this year and last.  For whatever reason, I cannot get the Scooby Doo photo to enlarge without it being somewhat distorted (I'm still learning). I submitted our Scooby Doo & The Gang photo for a contest that my friend, Brenda, was holding on her blog http://www.apronsandappetites.com/ and we won.  She sent me the coolest Frankenstein Candy Jar (should've taken a picture of it).

So plans will be in the works for next year's Trunk or Treat.  My friend I call "Karie" had a great idea that we'll have to try to remember and fix up for 2012.  The trouble will be remembering in time to actually get it ready.  Halloween 2011 is almost in the books for us.  I took my hoodlums to the nursing home trick or treat last week to see Grandma Great and this Saturday night, Jay will take the kiddos trick or treating in town.  I think we will have plenty of treats to fill my new Frankenstein!

No comments: