Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Slavery and Bullying, not so different?

Dear friends, I am not writing a new commandment for you; rather it is an old one you have had from the very beginning. This old commandment—to love one another—is the same message you heard before. 1 John 2:7 (NLT)

The Help...I didn't read the book.  Had never heard of the book or knew that a movie by the same name was coming out, but I caught the buzz and decided it was a must-see.  I missed my girls night out going to see the movie so I forced my faithful companion to go with me.  We had a nice Monday night date, dinner at the Backporch and a movie.  I gave Jay the option, an out so-to-speak, I would see Moneyball if he would rather.  No, he wanted to see the movie that I wanted to see.  Okay, we went.

It was very good.  I wish I had read the book because I like to read a book first, but it was still worth my time and money.  Obviously I wasn't around for that time period so I have little knowledge about how it actually was, except what I have read or seen in movies such as this one, but it really had me stirring inside.  Did people really treat people like that?  I almost said "Did we really treat people like that" and then corrected it.  I never did treat people that like that, nor do I plan to.  But I realize that is how it was and many good people treated others like that way back then because it was accepted.

Constantly we hear about bullying.  On and on and on, I get so tired of it.  Is it really that bad?  Then I read a book or see a news report and learn about a kid who was "bullied" and committed suicide or killed someone else.  How very sad.  Bullying isn't something new.  I think we like to treat it as some new thing, but really it's just more publicized and easier to do because of all the technology and such.  Bullying has been around for centuries.  It may take on new avenues or vessels, but it is very similar. 

I have a Barnes & Noble Nook and am totally in love with it.  Every now and then B&N has free books or 99 cent books that they showcase.  I downloaded a free or cheap book that was really dark and awful, but I couldn't stop reading it.  It was about a little boy whose mom had left and he was bullied a lot.  He decided to quit talking after his mom took off, which caused even more bullying.  It was sooo pitiful.  And sad and dark, but I could not quit reading.  It ended okay, I suppose, but it really gave me some insight into the victim of a bully.

There are some people who can handle teasing and joking and even rude and terrible comments.  Even though they may get their feelings hurt a little, it doesn't become a problem.  There are others, however, who begin to believe these hurtful, mean comments and begin to feel so low about themselves.  They start thinking they are worthless and unlovable.  They believe they have no purpose in life, that they are gross and disgusting.  I could go on and on.  Reading this book and what this little boy was thinking was just heartbreaking.  I thought back, did I ever say mean things like this to someone?  I hate to admit that I probably did at one time or another.  I think I was pretty nice to most people, but I'm sure someone out there has that one memory of something hurtful I said to them.  Ugh, I hate to think about it.

I'm a teaser.  I love sarcasm.  I like to make fun and joke at other people...but I never, ever do it to be mean or hurtful.  And I don't mind being on the receiving end either, but that's because I don't let it get to me too much.  I can't imagine telling another HUMAN BEING that they could not use my toilet because their germs are different than mine, or that they had to take a separate car or bus than I do because I am not sharing air with them.  I cannot believe that that kind of behavior went on and yet I know that it did.  It is just mind-boggling.  It makes me wonder if people these days forget about slavery and how we used to treat others because it sure isn't a whole lot different than bullying.

God says we should treat others as we would want to be treated.  The Golden Rule.  We are to love one another.  As our preacher pointed out in our sermon yesterday, we are called to build others up.  Our job is to love and encourage one another.  It is hard at times, and may even feel impossible because we don't always like every person we come into contact with.  God doesn't command us to like them, he commands us to love them and be kind to them.  It can be a fine line, but it is possible. 

Even though my kids would argue with this, I would not participate in slavery.  I could, however, be considered a bully, I suppose, with my teasing and joking.  I pray that God will grant me the ability to know when enough is enough as to not intentionally hurt someone else with my silliness.  Thankfully, slavery is a thing of the past.  Unfortunately, we now have bullying to replace it.  The commandment God gives us is nothing new, it is the same as it has always been: We are to love one another, plain and simple.  (Oh, and go see The Help if you can, it's really good!!)

2 comments:

apronsandappetites said...

oh, Sarah, slavery is very much alive dear. The sex slavery trade is exploding. If we the people don't stand up and be vocal, these kinds of things could go on forever.

Sarah said...

I agree, Brenda, and I didn't even think about the sex slave industry. We have done a couple youth studies on it and it is so, so sad.