Friday, October 7, 2011

Out with the Old, In with the New...

We are still the SAME BIG BLUE!  Today is the day that we will dedicate our beautiful new school building.  Excitement is buzzing, you can feel it.  It coincides with our Homecoming festivities which makes it even more exciting. The Student Council and their trusty leaders incorporated the theme of the dedication into Homecoming and I think that was an awesome idea.  It sounds as if we could have one of our biggest parades ever and there will be lots of alumni in town for the day.

As I noted in a previous post about my small town that I dearly love, I'm super stoked about today.  I know sometimes the anticipation is better than the actual event, and that is okay too.  It is good to have things to look forward to.  Last weekend, we (Booster Club) spent almost five hours painting a huge M with a streak at the four-way stop and another one directly in front of the entrance to our high school.  We connected the two M's with smaller white "Bluestreaks" every 24 steps (yes, that's how it was counted) down the Main Street.  We had beautiful weather and cooperative drivers, although we were quite surprised at the amount of traffic on a Sunday afternoon.

The parade will be taking a little different route this year...yes, another change, they will actually go backwards, which really makes a lot more sense.  They will hit the downtown first instead of last...which means you won't have to worry about running out of candy before you reach the biggest crowds.  It begins at 3.  There is a retired teacher's dinner at the Masonic Lodge afterwards.  The dedication ceremony begins at 5:30.  The Booster Tailgate begins at 6, with tenderloin sandwiches and hotdogs on the menu.  The PTO, Student Council and Booster Club will have Bluestreak-Wear for sale.  (A lot of people have worked very hard for this very day...THANK YOU!!)

Kickoff is at 7:00.  I have no idea what the other team's record is this year, but the Blue is doing the best it has in years.  We are 3-1 in the conference and the only team we've lost to in the conference is undefeated (and wouldn't you know that is the only game I've attended this year, hopefully I'm not a curse!).  That's not too shabby.  We may be small, but we are mighty.  You have to always give us credit.  We have half as many players as most teams, which means that most of our boys don't get a break.  It has been that way for years.  It isn't an excuse, it's just the way it is if we want to continue to have a football team.

The homecoming dance will follow the football game as usual.  There will be all kinds of rushing and scrambling after the game to get cleaned up and changed for the dance.  That too was just part of the Homecoming excitement.  I'm hoping to sneak a peek of the gym they are decorating for the dance, half retro, half more current, to go along with the Old and the New.  (Do you think they would notice if a thirty-something mama was kickin' it up on the dance floor?)

My kids are young enough that I'm going to be doing this for a long time, which is a-okay with me.  I have the day off, as I have for years.  I don't think I have missed a Homecoming parade ever...but I can't swear to it.  I often wonder if it will always be exciting to me, but then again, I think of my grandma.  She is 93 and plans to attend as always, sitting downtown in the same spot, trying to figure out who people are as they pass.   

Out with the Old, In with the New, (no matter what you're feelings on the old school being gone), we are still the same BIG BLUE.

1 comment:

Kathy said...

You capture it all! :-) I hope Grandma is still planning to attend this year.