Tuesday, October 4, 2011

The part and the crown cowlick

And so, dear friends, while you are waiting for these things to happen, make every effort to be found living peaceful lives that are pure and blameless in his sight. And remember, the Lord’s patience gives people time to be saved.  2 Peter 3:14-15 (NLT)

I did something super crazy Sunday morning while getting ready for church...I parted my hair on the other side.  For most women, this is a big deal.  For me, it is a big deal.  I asked Jay if he could tell something was different and he studied and finally said my hair...but only because I was doing my hair, I'm guessing.  He tried, I'll go with it.

I would guess that I have been parting my hair on the right my entire adult life, when parting was necessary.  All those years I had perms, there was no actual part, it just went every direction.  Eighteen months ago, I started working in Marshall and at that time switched hairdressers out of convenience.  I was not unhappy with my former gal, I just needed something closer to where I was every day.  (It's worked out very good too!) 

I get my hair cut a lot, approximately every 5-6 weeks, which means I've probably visited my current stylist about 14 times since making the switcheroo.  Every single time, she starts to part my hair on the left and I tell her, nope, it's the other side.  She's a sweetie and has never said a word, but it dawned on me just the other day, that maybe there is a reason she tries to part it on the left...like maybe a large cowlick near the crown of my head, slightly to the left. 

Let me digress a minute.  Every day my hair starts out looking pretty good (ssh, I think it does, let me have that, okay?), but by noon, the hair at the crown of my head has decided to make a flip-flop and lay the other direction, which no one else probably ever notices, but it drives me bonkers.  I don't keep hair supplies at work, so I always use my fingers and try to get it back in line...it lasts about the 20 seconds it takes me to walk back to my office.

So finally, at age 36, I realized that maybe that large cowlick on my crown should influence where I part my hair.  Duh.  The past two days I have parted my hair on the left and I have really liked it.  It was a little windy yesterday and I was out in it, but until I went outside after lunch, it was in place.  Wow, after all this time, I just needed to part my hair on the opposite side.  I'm hoping this sticks.  It is a little weird because I'm so used to the thicker hair being on my left, but I'm adjusting.  I'm sure that no one would ever even take note of this...except now the few that read this are going to be staring at it and I'm going to be wondering if I have something in my teeth or on my face...but I'm so tickled that I maybe have finally figured out that that stupid cowlick could be useful!

Funny, how that works, isn't it?  An annoying cowlick has a purpose.  It just took me 36 years to find it.  Kinda like our relationship with God, huh?  Maybe we fight and go against the grain on something that we just keep coming up against over and over, and then finally, the light bulb goes off and we get it.   Hallelujah! God is persistent.  He just keeps working on us until we see the light, so-to-speak.  Thankfully, he has something I don't have much of, it's called Patience. Sometimes that little annoyance we have fought so hard to avoid or forget about it is just what we need.  Yee-haw, it's about time my part and the crown cowlick have become friends...

2 comments:

Kathy said...

Okay, noticing the different side for your part? FAIL! I can NOT believe I didn't notice! But then again, that thing I told you about that Shane will never let me live down? It was for not noticing him shaving off his beard!! LOL!! So I guess I'm just more focused on the beauty within instead. ;-)

Sarah said...

Okay, considering you didn't notice your husband shaving a beard off his face and you see him daily, I will let it go that you didn't notice the part in my hair today...or yesterday.