Lane was in full-farm mode last week. We came home one evening and he saw that his uncle and grandpa were in the field by our house and he was spastic. He had to call grandpa and see if he could ride with him. So he did. The Quackdaddy told him he was on his way back and he would pick him up but it would be a half hour or so. Lane waited and waited, as little kids do, and grew impatient. He called grandpa again. This time the Quackdaddy told him he would be by to pick him up in about 20 minutes. Lane insisted we set the timer.
The timer...uh-oh. This will not be good. There are a few people that tinker and piddle just a little more than me and my dad is one of them. Him giving Lane an actual number was a bad idea...he was now on the clock. I think there was about three minutes left on the timer when I reminded Lane that grandpa was a lot like me, we may not always be right on time, but we are on our way. Sure enough, the timer beeped and he wasn't in our driveway, but amazingly, it was just a couple minutes later when he pulled up to get Lane.
Lane rode with his grandpa in the truck or tractor or with his uncle in the combine all evening. He even skipped youth group, which is not like him at all. Lane told me he drove the combine for just a minute while his uncle did something. I never know if I should believe anything that boy tells me (because he's just like his dad and makes all kinds of stuff up to get you), but knowing my brother, he probably did. Lane reminds me a lot of my brother...he is okay doing his own thing and really likes to work and work hard.
I always ask Lane if he falls asleep because I remember that I would beg and beg to go ride the old Deutz ( I may not have spelled that right) tractor with my grandpa and so grandma would drive me over to the field. I would get in with grandpa and grandma would pull away in the truck...or so I thought. Grandpa and I would make a few rounds in the field and he would get the CB out and call for a pick-up. I would be sound asleep, slumped over on the little spot he had made for me with stacked flannel shirts or a jacket and gloves. Later, I learned that grandma would just go around the corner out of my eyesight and wait. She knew I would be asleep very soon. Lane tells me he never falls asleep...hhhmm...
The next morning Lane was talking about farming again and we told him he should be a farmer if that's what he wants to be, but he needs to learn a trade too, such as electricity, plumbing, etc. He was okay with that. I'm okay with that too. His uncle will eventually retire, I think, and maybe by then, he would trust Lane to take over (haha)...but in the meantime he could help on the family farm on the side and do another trade by day. Everybody needs a plumber or electrician around here. And hey, it's an improvement, he did want to work at the carnival...
No comments:
Post a Comment