For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins. Matthew 6:14-15 (NIV)
Then Peter came to Jesus and asked, “Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother or sister who sins against me? Up to seven times?” Jesus answered, “I tell you, not seven times, but seventy-seven times. Matthew 18:21-22 (NIV)
Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity. Colossians 3:12-14 (NIV)
Two of my favorite songs right now are on the same subject...I'm not sure if that's a little Godstop for Sarah or just happenstance...either way, I love them both. I have put links (if I did it right) to hear the songs I'm quoting in this post. The first song is Losing by Tenth Avenue North. This is off their new album recently released. It's a must-have for the Wilhoit's...we LOVE Tenth Avenue.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvgILBGcavQ&feature=related
Here are some of the lyrics from that song, "Losing."
"Well, I can't believe what she said. I can't believe what he did. Oh, don't they know it's wrong? Don't they know it's wrong? Maybe there's something I missed. How could they treat me like this? It's wearing out my heart, the way they disregard."
(Chorus) "This is love, this is hate. We all have a choice to make. Oh, father, won't you forgive them, they don't know what they were doing. Oh, father, give me grace to forgive them 'cause I feel like the one losing."
"It's only the dead that can live, but still I wrestle with this, to lose the pain that's mine, seventy times seven times. 'Cause, Lord, it doesn't feel right for me to turn a blind eye, but I guess it's not that much when I think of what you've done."
There's more to the song, but I really like the first two verses. And how true it is that if you are holding onto something or refusing to forgive someone...you are the one who loses. A lot of times the other person may not even realize how much whatever it was hurt you...so they're not losing sleep over it. Only you. It's always easier said than done, but you just have to give it to God and let it go or you will be the one losing...
The other new song is by Matthew West. He is one of my favorite songwriters, and he's a pretty good singer too. This song, "Forgiveness," is one that he wrote about a woman that had written him a letter telling him her story of forgiveness. Her daughter had been killed by a drunk driver. She ended up not only completely forgiving him, but more. If you have time, watch the link to hear the story. (It kind of goes on, but the first half is the main story behind the song.) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9KI4grxLcY
Below are the lyrics to "Forgiveness." They are amazing too...
"It's the hardest thing to give away and the last thing on your mind today. It always goes to those that don't deserve. It's the opposite of how you feel when the pain they cause is just too real. Takes everything you have to say the word - Forgiveness..."
"It flies in the face of all your pride, moves away the mad inside. It's always anger's own worst enemy. Even when the jury and the judge say you got a right to hold a grudge, it's the whisper in your ear saying Set it Free - Forgiveness..."
(Chorus) "Show me how to love the unlovable. Show me how to reach the unreachable. Help me now to do the impossible - Forgiveness, Forgiveness. Help me now to do the impossible - Forgiveness."
"It will clear the bitterness away. It can even set a prisoner free. There is no end to what its power can do. Let it go and be amazed by what you see through eyes of grace. The prisoner that it really frees is you - Forgiveness..."
"I want to finally set it free. Show me how to see what your mercy sees. Help me now to give what you gave to me - Forgiveness..."
Aren't those awesome words? That is some major forgiveness. When thinking about this woman, I couldn't help but think that she must have tons of good 'ole Jesus Love in her heart. Love and forgiveness certainly go hand in hand. I don't think you can fully forgive someone without having lots of love in your heart. And I'd say, it really needs to be that good 'ole Jesus Love in there.
I hope if you're struggling right now with something or someone you need to forgive, or even if you feel like you're the one that needs forgiveness, that you will be encouraged by these songs and this amazing story about Renee...and find that forgiveness so you can be set free.
No comments:
Post a Comment