Thursday, August 2, 2012

Awesome fair week

So recapping a little...the Martinsville Agricultural Fair was awesome.  The weather, although not nice to the farmers, was fairly kind to the fair schedule.  We had two downpours, which were welcome by all, on Thursday and Saturday evenings.  Unfortunately for the older kids, the Scramble had to be cut short because there was lightening, but there was no other choice in the interest of safety.  Saturday evening the rain did not stop the Demolition Derby and it did not stop the crowds either.  I will say the gate workers and parking attendants were the victims of that night.  I admit I was thankful that Jay and I had worked the gate on Friday night or I would've definitely felt shameful passing them in their rain-soaked clothing.  (I still felt bad, but not quite as bad, I guess.)

The 5k race/walk that I help organize on the Saturday of fair was a huge success.  Our pre-registration numbers were not at all indicative of our race-day attendees.  We ran out of bibs and actually had to ask the walkers for their bibs back!  I felt awful, but everyone seemed to understand.  I was short two medals somehow (who knows), and my registration helpers were on overload, but I think it went pretty well. 

Fortunately, for me, there is a team ready to take it over and I am ready to dump hand it to them.  I took it over six years ago maybe, and never intended to still be an organizer.  I am thankful for someone who stepped up and helped me out the past couple years.  (I will call her Tara.)  She has been a lifesaver.  As someone who does not run, unless it is a life or death situation, I don't quite get the whole 5k deal and am looking forward to some experienced runners having their hand in the organization.  I will help them and do what I can on race day, but I feel a great sense of relief and I know that Jay does too.  (Of course, I take out my anxiety on him!)

Backtracking a week, Elevate went well.  It was so blasted hot and people still came.  I was in awe of the amount of people that came early and waited in those extreme temperatures.  I didn't hear much of Josh Wilson because I was working a gate, but everything I did hear was great.  The guys from For King & Country are some of the most down-to-earth fellas I have met.  They were very easy-going and super friendly.  Seems like there is always one band or singer that sticks out (backstage) as super normal...these guys were it for me this year.  (That is not to say the others aren't too, of course.)

The concert, the fair and the 5k could not go on without lots of volunteers.  I so appreciate the generosity of others in helping these events work.  In a community the size of ours, it's often the same people doing everything.  Thank you for not throwing in the towel.  My dad and the fair board and directors put in so much of their time in and so many fair goers never realize the stress they endure.  Every year I think it will push my dad over the edge and somehow he pulls through (my mom seems to survive it as well).  I am sure there are others who walk that line as well, I just don't see them as closely. 

So in case you missed the greatest spectacle in small-town fairs, there is my recap!

No comments: