There are only a select few of you out there who have any idea of what "LKK" stands for...To many it will look like one L and two K's standing side-by-side; to the few it signifies one of the best weeks of the year: Little Kids Kamp at Brush Creek!
After last year's church camp lice debacle, the first stop upon arriving at camp was a head check. All our group passed with flying colors and I think, all in all, only three were sent home and they may have all returned once their heads were treated. The intent was never to keep kids away from camp, but to keep the nasty critters away!!
We had record numbers this year at camp. I think there were 223 total, staff included. It was a full house to say the least, but amazingly enough, we had almost zero trouble! It was so awesome. Normally there is at least one major ruckus where kids are pulled aside and threatened with being sent home...not this year. Our pastors/speakers did a great job. The teachers were well-prepared and on it. The directors did super, and the kitchen staff (minus a few dishwashers;) were on top of it with delicious meals. And I must say the Rec Team may have been the best ever (haha, I was on that one).
The campground we get to attend is great...nevertheless, since I have been going the past four years, not one year has passed without some sort of water or sewer problem. This year was no exception. Fortunately, it could have been worse and the folks down there worked hard to correct the problem. The bummer was the super-duper Rec team couldn't get a break. We planned swimming/pool events on Tuesday afternoon and what do you know, we couldn't use the pool. Thursday we planned our water day and we had stuff set up for a slip-n-slide and all kinds of fun...at ten minutes to showtime, the hose quit working. No water the rest of the afternoon. Ahh, but because there was a super-duper Rec team, we pulled it off. Ha!
One afternoon during free time, we had the kids watch the movie Courageous in the tabernacle (because the pool was closed and we couldn't use the water). I was so excited because I had never seen the movie, but was terribly afraid the kids would not be able to sit still for the duration. I could not believe it...the kids were great. I think there was just enough action in the movie to keep their attention. Even, Lane, who is only 8 years old, sat right beside me the whole time. He thought it was awesome! Towards the end, kids were getting a tad restless, curious about when it would be over, but all in all, I was tickled with their patience.
A funny there, one of the directors, I'll call Sandra (a real good camp friend of mine from waaay back) came in to ask the Staff to do some extra things (get the kitchen cleaned up because there had been no water after lunch) and I shushed her!! There were only about four minutes left in the movie and it was the scene at the end with the little girl running and the 'bad' guys and the gun, etc...I told her to wait just a few minutes and get out of the way so I could see...haha, she took it well...and as soon as it was over, I responded to her call!
As usual, when the week comes to an end, I (we) are thoroughly exhausted. We really want to sleep in our own beds, take a shower in our own shower and just crash...and we did...for about 18 hours because we had the 4-H fair starting bright and early on Saturday morning.
No comments:
Post a Comment