Thursday, August 16, 2012

It's Back to School Time

Don’t let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith and in purity.  1 Timothy 4:12 (NIV)

So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.  1 Corinthians 10:31 (NIV)


Today my first-born is a 7th grader.  It is crazy to believe she is old enough to be at the 'other' school.  Here, we have only two schools: the grade school, grades K-6; and the junior/senior high, grades 7-12.  Switching schools is a big deal!  Madolyn told me this morning that she woke up around 1:30 and then finally went back to sleep and got up between 5:30 and 6.  She had everything laid out last night so by the time I came out to the living room this morning after my shower, she was dressed and ready to go to school. 

Jay got up with all of us and cooked pancakes and sausage for breakfast.  It was nice...and they don't get that on school days normally so it was a special treat.  Tomorrow it will be back to normal...cereal or toast!


Lane is now a 3rd grader.  He was so excited he got Ms. Shotts as his teacher.  Jay and I had her for P.E. when we were in grade school and Madolyn had her for 3rd grade so she will be fully aware of what she's getting!  Ms. Shotts taught us to dance back in grade school P.E....the Virginia Reel and Let's Get Physical were two that stick out in my mind.  I thought about teaching Lane and my niece the Virginia Reel and having them show it to her for old time's sake.

When Lane came out all dressed and ready, Jay said, "I see you're wearing your best for your first day of school."  To which I replied, "At least it matches!"  He loves that "Don't Feed the Bears" shirt he got in Durango, Colorado...do you see the bloody claw marks across the front?  Nice, isn't it?  It goes well with his skull & crossbones backpack and lunch box.

I am thankful to be back in a routine...although now I have to make two stops every morning for drop-offs, but that's okay.  I am so glad that I am able to take them to school each morning on my way to work.  They won't be at the same school again for four years...wow, that seems like such a long time, but I know it will fly by and before long, I'll be dropping Lane off for his first day at the Junior/Senior High School.

There are pros and cons to living in a small community.  I always side with the pros on this one because I am a country girl/homebody, and I appreciate the fact that my kids are safe for the most part and aren't in a swarm of hundreds of students known only by name or number.  I pray that they will be respectful, maintain their integrity, work hard, and most importantly, remember to love (treat) one another as Christ loved us. 

I liked the verses above because we try to encourage our kids to be their own person and make their own decisions.  We have reminded them that even if you aren't the one in the group making the mean comments or doing something you know is wrong, if you are standing among them, it is assumed that you are "one of them."  We remind them to think about how it would feel to be the one being made fun of or the one sitting alone with no one to talk to or play with.  I can't tell you how many times I have said, "You don't have to be their best friend, but you have to be nice to them."  I hope and pray that our kids set an example for others or can reach out to another who is sad or struggling.

The second verse comes to mind when one of our kids tells us they hate a subject or they "don't care" about a stupid test or assignment.  We don't necessarily expect our kiddos to be straight-A students if that isn't their ability.  Our beef is when we know they are capable of something and they don't put the effort forth and get a lousy grade.  The verse above is a perfect reminder that they should do everything with the best of their abilities for the glory of God.  That not only pleases the parents, but more importantly, it pleases God!

I am reminded of something a teacher told Jay and I several years ago at a parent/teacher conference.  She was concerned that we were too hard on Madolyn, that Madolyn was scared to death to get in trouble at school.  Jay and I were baffled.  Yes, we told the teacher, she better be.  If she gets in trouble at school, she will get in big trouble at home.  Isn't that the way it is supposed to be?  Or is that the problem these days?  I know I was raised under the thought process.  I knew the trouble I would be in at home was far worse than whatever they could do to me at school. 

Remember the kids, teachers, aides, administration, school bus drivers, kitchen staff, janitors, maintenance, office staff, etc., today and tomorrow as they get back into the groove of things.  Say a prayer that the school year will go smooth and that the teachers and staff will be able to handle situations in the right manner, and that the kids can get along and treat each other with kindness and respect.  Pray that the teachers will be given the knowledge, skills and patience to teach their students and deal with grouchy parents (yes, sometimes the parents are a little grouchy).  And remember, as parents or grandparents, to have patience with the teachers and staff (who can sometimes be a little grouchy too;).  We are blessed to have a lot of staff that are also Christians, and for that I am thankful because I know that many of them pray for and watch out for the students and different situations that arise.

Just a little reminder to parents of how important school is...we have to get our kids out of the house eventually, school is the first step.  We must push them through or they'll live with us forever! 

1 comment:

Kathy said...

They both do look older! You're doing an awesome job with them, Mom (& Dad)!