Friday, April 27, 2012

The burial

Thought I would give a little follow-up on the passing of Frankie the hamster.  As posted a couple days ago, I discovered Frankie's demise in the morning and there wasn't enough time to do anything with her so we left her until that evening.  I told Lane we would have to bury her when I got home.

Fast forward to quitting time.  I get a call from Lane that when he and Madolyn got home, the horses were out.  Because the grass is greener on the other side, Melody sticks her neck through the panels to reach it and if she pulls just right, she'll unhook the panel thereby creating an escape route.  Jay was almost home and I was on my way home.  When I got home, Jay and Madolyn were leaving again on the golf cart to go look for them. 

I went inside the house and Lane tells me it's time to bury Frankie.  He picks her up from inside the cage and turns to me and says with the cutest little face ever, "Mom, I can't do it."  (I was thrilled to see a little compassion because sometimes I worry that my kids don't have any.)  He didn't shed a tear, but for a moment, I thought it could happen.  So I found a brown lunch sack, grabbed Frankie and put her in there.  I told Lane to take her outside and bury her somewhere the dogs won't dig her up.  He goes outside with the 'casket,' I change my clothes and head out in search of the fleeing horses.

As I stepped off the deck, I noticed the little brown bag in the landscaping.  Okay, pal, that's not going to work.  He had went in search of a shovel.  I suggested he find some softer dirt maybe behind the pond and I took off for the horse hunt.  The horses were located (by yours truly, thank you very much) and as we were walking back, we saw that Lane was squatting in the yard with his shovel.  It wasn't exactly where I had pictured the burial plot, but whatever.  He yells out, "Hey, I found some worms."  Hmm, "I thought you were burying the hamster?"  "I was, but when I started digging, I found worms."  There's my little multi-tasker. 

I sent Jay out to lend a hand and the burial was successful.  Frankie has been laid to rest on the other side of the pond.  And as long as we don't see a brown lunch sack in the yard or in the dog's mouth, all is well.

No comments: