It seems like more and more I am surrounded by history buffs, and here I sit amongst them clueless. I don't know what the deal is...was I not taught the history or did I not listen and/or retain it? I have a feeling it is probably a good combination. I wasn't an overachiever in high school and I went to a business school where we didn't study history but I can type really, really fast.
I'm interested in history, but I guess I haven't been interested enough to learn more about it. The Civil War and Slavery peek my interest, but honestly, I know very little about either of them. How bad is it that when I think of the Civil War, my first image is the re-enactment in Sweet Home Alabama (one of my favorite movies)...and folks, I'm not kidding (but don't tell anyone that because that is shameful).
I read that book I told you about a while back, The Emancipation of Robert Sadler, and got a glimpse into the life of a slave, at least from his point of view. I saw the movie, The Help, and loved it...although I was shocked (and mortified) at the way people were treated. I did visit the home where Abe Lincoln died on our senior trip, which was across the street from the theater he was shot in, and I think we went there too. I know who shot him...so that's good of me, right? But then I also know who shot John Lennon because now that really interested me and I can tell you all kinds of information about the Beatles or Charles Manson's clan. I guess that I've always been intrigued by crime and murder, so those things stick out in my mind. But still, it is pitiful.
I've never been a bucket-list type of person, but lately I've been tossing one about in this head of mine, and I'm thinking I need to gain some knowledge, which would include reading some good history books...but they have to be intense, full of excitement and gripping. I simply have to be interested or I won't last past the first chapter. So if you have any suggestions on some reading material, let me have it.
I feel like a moron when folks around me start in on history and I do the whole "smile and wave" routine...I'm sure they're not buying it. They're probably thinking, she always has something to say about everything and when we start in on history, she just smiles...Yep. Don't you worry though, I have refrained from mentioning the Carmichael's or their beautiful plantation in conversation :)
2 comments:
The book that I immediately thought of is The Widow of the South. A true story about a woman who turned her home into a graveyard during the Civil War. That sounds more morbid than it is and there is a whole of stuff that happened to lead up to the graveyard. It is a good book and there some history in there too. It gave me a better perspective of the Civil War.
There are probably more that I have read, but I can't think of them right now. If I do, I'll post again.
I thought of The Red Badge of Courage by Stephen Crane. The novel tells of the difficulties of a young Union soldier during the Civil War. It's been made into a couple of movies, both some time ago. Probably on a list of suggested reading in high school but I just read it earlier this year. High school was about 50 years ago.
Post a Comment