The day is yours, and yours also the night; you established the sun and moon. It was you who set all the boundaries of the earth; you made both summer and winter. Psalm 74:16-17 (NIV)
Oh man, it's early April and I am already being attacked viciously by bugs. I was outside a lot this weekend and now I'm paying the price. I have seen several snakes already too, and yuck, how I hate snakes. I suppose we'll have a ton of those slimy things crawling around. Honestly, I can live with mice if that is all snakes are good for. We've found two ticks so far...on Lane. I haven't seen any on the dogs yet, but it will be a matter of time. I know the insects are going to be simply dreadful this year. Lane and I get bit like crazy. Jay and Madolyn get the poison. I suppose we have the better end of the deal on that one, but it's still annoying.
Yesterday was Easter Sunday and you know they say that if it rains on Easter Sunday, it will rain the next six Sundays...it didn't rain. My fear is that it may not rain for a long time. Normally, I'm okay with that, but since the weather this year has already been so out of sorts, it makes me a little nervous. It could be a very dry, hot summer.
Weather is one of those things that controls a large portion of my life, which is crazy, because weather is one of those things that I absolutely have NO control over, not even a smidgen. I suppose I can control the climate in my car, but that's about it...and really, no, I can't even do that because last summer our passenger side air/heat controls went berserk. It will randomly blow hot (like fire) air out even if you have it on A/C set at 60. I normally wouldn't notice, but we were driving through Mississippi last August in the blazing heat and I was sweating profusely at times...which is so unlike me.
I literally get up in the morning and have to see what the weather is going to be like to plan my day. Can I walk outside, will I need a heavy coat, a light jacket, long pants, short pants, long-johns, closed-toed shoes, open-toed shoes, many layers? I could go on and on. I almost always carry a sweatshirt with me because restaurants are always freezing and only a freezing cold Sarah is worse than a hungry Sarah...both cause me to shake and be grouchy. It's not good for those around me.
I need the sunshine to fuel my mood. Seriously. A gloomy day is the worst. I don't suffer from serious depression or anything, but something as simple as the sun, even on the coldest day, is medicine for my soul.
The past couple months I'd give a daily weather report to my kids, which started out something like this: "Heavy coat today." "Okay, a sweatshirt should do it." "You don't need a coat at all." And then finally ended with: "Yes, I know it's March, but you can wear shorts, it is 85 degrees." I fought it for a couple weeks, but caved. Why not? It was HOT and my kids are both fireballs so I was just making them miserable by having them wear their long pants. (Our school has a/c now...boy, are we spoiled these days or what?)
My closet is too small (are they ever big enough?) so I have to rotate clothing...I finally gave in on that one too and brought down the summer totes from the attic. They are still sitting in my bedroom, partially transferred, but I made the first step. Of course, now the judge says it's my fault the temps dipped a little...because I started switching out my closet. Sorry, I, too, was starting to sweat a little in my long-sleeved sweaters and wool or corduroy pants.
So I will continue with my daily weather advisory to my kiddos and I'll try very hard not to worry about the weather that is coming our way. God knows what we need when we need it. He will bring the rain when He sees fit. I will finish sorting through my closet and making the switch. I will deal with the snakes and the mosquitoes...ugh. I will continue to drag along my sweatshirt.
This Easter weekend was beautiful and so is today. It is a tad bit windy out, but the sun is beaming. I think God is too. After all, His Son is alive :) Oh, glorious day.
No comments:
Post a Comment