Wednesday, April 11, 2012

City Wide Pride

A few months ago, our community started a movement, and really, I suppose I should say a few years ago, because that is when Martinsville on the Move formed.  So let me start that over.  Martinsville on the Move (MOM) was formed a few years ago in an effort to improve our city.  That group has met monthly since and remains committed to improving the quality of life here in our town. 

One of the first things they did was to open a resale shop downtown called Changing Hands.  It has been a huge success.  Not only is there a place to go to purchase gently-used items at a low cost, the stuff you have in your basement or attic that you no longer want...has a home.  You know how it is, you have something that you keep until you might need it and then you decide you may never need it, but it could be exactly what someone else is looking for, so you collect your unwanted items and drop them off at the resale shop.  The store is operated through MOM and is manned by volunteers from our community...who, I must say, donate several hours of their free time for this endeavor to succeed.  What they can't use in their shop is donated to a local mission so nothing goes to waste.

MOM has hosted various downtown clean-up days, a fun, old-fashioned Hometown Christmas celebration (which was a huge success this year) and helped the bank purchase a clock and LED screen that our town desperately needed.  The group has encouraged homeowners to take pride in their property by honoring them for their improvements.  I think they also now offer a scholarship to local kids and have a small grant available for new businesses coming to town.

MOM has been a huge asset to our little community and I thank those involved for their commitment.  A couple months ago, MOM started having MAPPING meetings, which were held two nights weekly for several weeks.  I could not attend because of my daughter's volleyball schedule, but sort of wish I had been able to.  It's my understanding these meetings were held to create a vision for the growth and future of Martinsville, and then develop ideas to follow through on those visions.  Those that participated seem to have thoroughly enjoyed the process and are continuing with their commitment to improve our community by following through with some of the thoughts and ideas that were brought forth.

This Saturday, April 14 is City Wide Pride Day in Martinsville.   The annual city-wide clean-up is approaching where residents of Martinsville can set out their "junk" beyond their ordinary garbage at the curb and the city will pick it up and haul it off.  In an effort to support the city with the clean-up, there will be volunteers available to help those that need assistance getting heavy or large objects out for pick-up.  If you know of someone in town that could use that extra help, please let me or my mom know.  (I better not post her phone number on here.)   Volunteers for City Wide Pride Day are also needed.  They are to meet at the high school parking lot at 8:00 a.m. on Saturday morning.  You will sign in and be given direction on where you need to go.  I would suggest bringing a pair of gloves with you. 

There is a Town Meeting on April 22, 2012 at 4:00 p.m. at our high school.  Come see Martinsville's vision for positive change and get excited.  Support this movement.  There will be a light meal following.

If you have followed my blog long, you know that I absolutely love my community, and that there is no place I would rather be.  If we like what we have and want to keep it, we must work together to take care of it.  If we want things to be improved, we must work together to improve them.  It is a group effort.  It takes all of us. 

P.S. Having said all of this, I must confess I won't be able to help on Saturday because of Madolyn's 4H Horse Hippology contest in Champaign...thought I better throw that out there so my readers won't wonder where I am after trying to persuade others to help :)

No comments: