February, the month for love...or at least for that day that is supposed to signify love, Valentine's Day. Jay and I have never made a huge deal out of Valentine's Day, but a couple years ago, Jay was almost giddy in the days leading up to February 14 because of this awesome present he had bought me.
He would give me clues but they were very vague and didn't really give me any indication of what the gift could possibly be. I knew that for some reason it included the fellas at his work, or at least their opinions and input. And I could tell just by the way Jay was reacting to it all, it was something that he really thought was great.
I've always been a little hard to surprise. As a child, I would snoop around the house and find my presents. I always found my presents, which did ruin the surprise but I didn't care back then. Now, I like not knowing what I'm getting for a change. Jay certainly had me stumped on this one.
So the big day came and he was like a small child on Christmas morning. We all gathered around the island in the kitchen and he brought out a heart-shaped box...aah, chocolate...and there was a little chocolate, but he had cut out the center of the heart and lying in wait was a very large Beretta handgun. Yes, that's right, I said handgun.
He had taken the chocolates out and inserted a handgun...it wasn't made of chocolate either. I was stunned to say the least. I could barely lift the handgun without using both hands. It was huge. I wasn't sure I could ever shoot it even if I wanted to. I've often pictured having a cute little handgun that I could tuck away somewhere handy...this wasn't exactly what I had in mind.
We went outside to shoot it, I was still in utter disbelief. I let Jay give it a shot...the kick cut his thumb and it bled. Yep, I think I'll pass on target practice...I have never touched that gun since. Actually, I'm not even sure we still have it. Jay may have sold it when he realized that I wasn't impressed. I hated to be that way because he WAS SO EXCITED, but honestly, I was taken aback by it. There was just NO WAY he bought that handgun for Sarah.
In fairness to Jay, he bought me a camcorder about that same time, so I'm going to assume that the camcorder was for me and the gun was for him. Happy Valentine's Day to us. Thankfully, he hadn't thrown the chocolates from the heart-shaped box away, so all was not lost. I can tell you that I was very, very nervous the following year when Valentine's Day rolled around, but since I can't tell you what I got, if anything, it must have been normal (which may mean nothing) because, as I said, we don't usually make a huge deal out of Valentine's Day...
When April rolls around, I'll have to tell you about a couple birthday presents I've received in the past (although nothing compares to the Beretta handgun).
No comments:
Post a Comment