Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Movie classics

I can't help it, I must write about some classic movies from my childhood.  Seeing Matthew Broderick last night in a Superbowl commercial for the Honda CRV got me in the mood.  He was re-enacting a couple scenes from my favorite movie...

And my favorite movie growing up was Ferris Bueller's Day Off.  I can recite several scenes word-for-word.  Just ask my mom, I never, ever got sick of it (although I'm sure she did).  "He'll keep calling me, he'll keep calling 'til I come over, he'll make me feel guilty...okay, okay, okay, I'll go...bleep...I'll go."  While on vacation in Florida last August, we noticed it in the stack of movies at our condo so we decided to pop it in one night...and I drove the family NUTS.  I simply can't help but recite the lines...and apparently that is super annoying if you're not the one doing it, huh?  My kids just looked at me like I was crazy.  Yes, I know... 

Saturday while filing away seven months worth of monthly bills (yes, I know) in my bedroom, I ran across The Outsiders on the movie channel, another classic I thoroughly loved and watched countless times in my youth.  So I quoted and filed, quoted and filed..."We'll do it for Johnny, Let's do it for Johnny."  I own a copy of this one also and Madolyn now likes it too.  I think they read it in 9th grade at our school and then get to watch the movie...Madolyn may be the one annoying everyone else by then!! 

Stand By Me, Goonies, Harry and the Hendersons, Adventures in Babysitting, Breakfast Club, 16 Candles (which I finally got Jay to watch and hooked on), Rumble Fish, That Was Then and This is Now (can you tell I liked S.E. Hinton books?), St. Elmo's Fire, Uncle Buck, National Lampoon's Vacation, European Vacation, Police Academy, I could go on and on. 

Isn't it funny how sometimes when you sit down to watch one of your favorites from the past, it isn't quite like it seemed back then?  Sometimes I'll think, wow, I loved this movie, huh?  The other thing that comes to mind is, yikes, there was a lot of cussing in these movies.  Seems like people these days tend to think that the movies and shows now are so awful and have all this bad language (and yes, I agree) but they did back in the day too.  I was shocked to hear all the cuss words on the Dukes of Hazzard episodes (my son has three seasons of them).  And I remember popping in Harry and the Hendersons, Uncle Buck or Adventures in Babysitting for my kids and then quickly turning it off until I could watch it and decide just how many times I was going to have to fast-foward through the cussing! 

It didn't bother me at all 20-25 years ago...amazing how a few years and a couple of my own kids can change my perspective.  The time will come very soon when Madolyn is going to look at me, roll her eyes and say, "Mom, come on, I am not a baby anymore."  Oh, I know, but it seems like just yesterday you thought stupid and fart were cuss words...

No comments: