So I guess I better give an update on Frankie, the hamster. I posted a comment to my "Jinx" post to explain, but just in case you didn't know...We found the hamster. I should say, the kids found the hamster. When Lane got home from school the day after Frankie escaped, he went to the basement to play the Wii, of course, and he (or Madolyn) heard a noise and located Frankie underneath the last two steps of the basement stairs.
Lane fetched his father, who was excited to rescue Frankie (I'm only guessing:), and Jay came downstairs. He had to crawl under the stairs and pull out part of a wall. I am told that when Jay reached his arm into the dark small space, Frankie barked or growled at him...but was quickly calmed down when Jay handed him over to the kids.
Lane called me immediately and was soooo excited. He just loves that little creature. He put her back in her cage, she gulped down a bunch of water and crashed. Later when I got home, I got her out to hold her and she just sat in my hands motionless (which never happens). I think she was still in shock or relieved or something...See, there are things worse than living at the Wilhoit Ranch. She was happy to have been rediscovered.
This morning (Friday), Lane got Frankie out and played with her as soon as he got up. As we were getting ready to leave for school/work, I noticed that the cage lid was not on the hamster cage. I said, "Hey, where is Frankie?" Lane tells me that he put her in the cage. I said, "The lid is not on." Again, we go with the whole I-know-I-put-the-lid-on mantra. He tries to tell me that she must have taken it off, which is hilarious, because it is lying neatly beside the cage. He starts to panic (this boy needs to learn to deal with his emotions) and I go in search. A fuzzy ball catches my eye darting along the bottom of the washing machine and I reach down and capture Frankie. She will not miss an opportunity to escape if given the chance! Will we ever learn?
Hank the Tank II apparently has no recollection of his boy parts being removed and/or no pain involved with the same because he has been the same ole rowdy fella since he got home from his procedure. (And he took no part in locating Frankie either time.) Last night Jay cleaned out the fridge and tossed out some leftover chili and a half-eaten roll of deer sausage. The Precious ate it all, so last night while we were trying to sleep, there were lots of soft sounds and unpleasant aromas sifting through the air in our bedroom. What is wrong with me and why do I let these animals dominate my life?
The Quackdaddy ran over his yellow Lab, Ziporah, last week although it was at the hands of our black Lab, Abby, who has taken to barrel-rolling other dogs in an attempt to dominate and control all situations. Dad was turning in his driveway and Abby was trying to bully Zippy (who was, btw, in her own yard) and Abby flattened out Zip just as dad turned. He got her lower leg. Jay helped load her up and dad took her to see our very good friend, the vet. She was treated and released and seems fine, although she does walk with a slight limp. Maybe she now will have some sympathy for the Quackdaddy.
Later on that evening, I saw our friendly vet and his wife, and the first thing out of his mouth was, "What are you people doing down there?" Yes, I know. It's as if we will not stop until all of our dogs have been maimed, injured...or worse.
No comments:
Post a Comment