I believe it was Madolyn's first grade year, 2006/2007. Lane was a little over two years old. He loved three things unconditionally: his bunk (he still sleeps with it), his boots (any kind) and hats (of all shapes and sizes). This warm day in August was no different than any other for us, except that we were going in for Madolyn's open house at school and it was time to get ready to go.
Lane decided he needed at least two of his three favorite things, boots and a hat, for this outing...and I can remember what he was wearing, denim shorts and a navy blue polo-type shirt, his boots and a bicycle helmet. Yep, a blue bicycle helmet with bees on it. He had fallen in love with the bicycle helmet and wore it constantly. I had learned (even back then) that you have to chose your battles so I let it go. Surely, I thought, he'll take the stupid helmet off before we go in the school.
And as is often the case, I was wrong. He insisted that he keep the helmet on. So we went...and I had two people ask me if Lane was suffering from sort of head injury. Nope, I smiled and said, he is just
No comments:
Post a Comment