Don’t you realize that in a race everyone runs, but only one person gets the prize? So run to win! All athletes are disciplined in their training. They do it to win a prize that will fade away, but we do it for an eternal prize. 1 Corinthians 9:24-25 (NLT)
Last week one of our youth kids came up to me at my daughter's volleyball game and asked me if I had heard that he was ineligible for basketball this week. I said no and asked him what was going on. He then told me that he was flunking Math because he didn't do his homework, but they had taken some aptitude test (or whatever they're called) and he had the highest scores. He was giggly about it and thought it was funny...you know, I'm so smart, the homework is stupid and I don't have to do it.
My reply to this young boy was something along the lines of, it doesn't matter how smart you are, you have to do your homework and "you have to play the game." And I went on to explain to him that even though he may understand all there is to know about mathematics (which I highly doubt) and he may have gotten the highest test score and the homework may be stupid or boring or too simple...you have to do it. You have to play the game and the name of this game is high school.
I think he was listening to me. I gave him my advice in the best I'm-not-your-parent-way that I could. He is not dumb and he knows what he needs to do. He is one of those kids that I just love...and sometimes I just want to strangle. He is the type of kid that could soooo easily turn south and head down the wrong path, but I pray that he doesn't. He has a very likable personality and is jovial most of the time. We even persuaded him to pray the other night at youth and he rattled one out that was pretty good. I don't remember him having prayed out loud for us before. Awesome.
How often do we hear that the kids think this or that is stupid, why do I have to take this class or follow this stupid rule? (And I'm sure I've said a few of those things a time or two myself.) But I'm realizing that there are just some things you have to do in life, and one of them is to graduate from high school. It is an absolute must. I don't believe everyone has to go to a four-year college or get some fancy degree; there are many opportunities out there with vocational/trade schools, business colleges and union jobs. But you really need to get your high school diploma or GED to move on to the next game.
Graduating from high school is not only about getting the right grades, it shows that you are willing to do what needs to be done to accomplish something. It proves that you can follow directions and obey rules. It is an indication to a future employer that you are willing to commit to something. And as some will say, "It ain't worth doing, if it ain't worth doing right." So you might as well try to do your very best while you're at it, right?
Even as adults it doesn't get a whole lot easier with the games that are played. Sometimes we get jerked around at our jobs, maybe we're not treated fairly, etc., but in the end, if we need a job to support ourselves and our family, we end up staying in the game or changing to another one. It can make for some very frustrating and difficult times and can often become a bit ridiculous.
But, ahhh, there is hope. The scripture above is one of my most favorite in the bible. I'm not so good at being disciplined (I know you're picking up on that), but I try. While we're down here on this temporary earth playing this game called Life, we, as Christians, better play it the best that we can because in the end, we are going to receive the greatest prize of all, one that isn't temporary...Eternal Life. And I say we run to win!
No comments:
Post a Comment