“A happy heart makes a face look cheerful. But a sad heart produces a broken spirit.” Proverbs 15:13 (NIV)
I have a sign hanging in my living room that reads "Smile it confuses people." That is often my mantra. Either that one or the famous line from the movie Madagascar, "Smile and wave, boys, just smile and wave." A smile can so often make someone's day. A smile from you to a friend, foe or stranger could be the only 'gift' that person receives that day. And hey, it's free and every single one is unique!
I read the "Smile it confuses people" sign over and over before deciding not to buy it. Then thought about it for a week and returned to find the sign still at Onie's Acres down by Moonshine. I purchased it and immediately hung it right above our television. It is sad to say that sometimes smiling will confuse people. There are so many people going through life who frown and expect others to frown. I am saddened when I run into someone a time or two and they are wearing that same frown on their face, as if their cheeks know no other way. So Smile at them! Show them how it's done. It's kind of like killing them with kindness, you know.
I try to be a smiler. I try to smile or wave at everyone around me. I guess it is because I cannot stand to see people unhappy...although I do realize that a smile on the outside doesn't mean someone is happy on the inside. I don't smile to be fake or pretend I'm happy. I smile because I want to...and maybe to confuse people;) And frowning gives you wrinkles. Boo to the wrinkles!
I've told our youth group kids over and over, sometimes the best thing you can do is to smile and wave. You may not like something you're being told, you may not want to deal with whatever it is, but smile and wave and move on. If you get all worked up about it, you're wasting energy and happiness. Life is too short to be grumpy and hung up on issues that aren't worth stewing about. I say this for you as much as I say it for myself.
I love this scripture above. Don't you feel better when you see a cheerful face? A cheerful face is uplifting to the soul. To know someone has a sad heart and broken spirit makes me sad. I don't want to have a broken spirit and I don't want anyone else to either...and that's not what God's plan is for me or for you...so be happy!
Often the cold temps and shorter days give way to the winter blues. I understand that, sometimes when it's dark and gloomy out, I have an off day which I'll blame on the lack of sunshine...and if it was 90 degrees and sunny, I would change my 'tude real quick! I have reminded my coworkers several times that my attitude depends on the sun and the weather...and sometimes I mean it. Just ask Jay!
Today is as good a day as any to start smiling. When you go out today, give it all you got and smile, smile big. Smile and wave if you have to. Smile because it confuses people...Everyone could use a facelift/faithlift now and then.
No comments:
Post a Comment