Wednesday, December 21, 2011

First Aid

I posted this little story on my Facebook, but thought I would expound on it a bit.  Sunday afternoon I decided to call the nursing home and see if my grandma would want to come to our church Christmas play and party later that evening.  To my surprise (although I shouldn't be surprised) she said absolutely!  So I made arrangements to get my aunt's van and picked her up.  She was ready to go in her bright red coat...you know she loves red!

She was excited to get out and see Christmas lights.  We were a bit disappointed that there weren't more lights along Route 40 from Marshall to the Bank Barn Road turn-off, but we did see a few.  Because of the timing, I had to cancel her meal tray at the nursing home but offered to take her somewhere for a sandwich.  She said no, she had eaten a good lunch and would just piece at the party later.  I called Jay and told him that Grandma and I were on our way, to fix up some crackers and deer sausage for her (I know she loves that stuff) and she could eat it on the way to church.

So we pick up the rest of my family and she is delighted to have the deer sausage and crackers and starts cramming them down like she hasn't eaten in weeks...and she's excited...so she's talking...and my kids are asking her questions...and I can tell she is starting to have problems.  She has a hiatal hernia and other throat issues so it is not uncommon for her to have trouble.  She must eat slow and in small bites and she should not be talking.  I told her at one point, "Grandma, you're going to have to quit talking while you're eating."  It was too late.

Madolyn leaned up in the front seat and said, "Grandma, it's okay, if you choke, I know what to do.  But first we'll have to pull over and you'll have to lie down in the road."  I thought I would lose it.  It was absolutely hysterical.  Grandma never even noticed the comment, I don't think, because she was focused on the food caught in her throat...but Jay and I were silently snickering.  Can't you just picture my 93.5 yr old Grandmother lying in the road in her new bright red jacket and my Madolyn working on her?!  (And then this would be when Jay pointed out to Madolyn that if she is trained in first aid and refuses to render care, Grandma could sue her.  Nice.)

Apparently the sixth graders have been learning about first aid and such in science the past two weeks.  Of course, my sixth grader tells me very little so this was the first I had heard of it.  Last night, Madolyn cut herself shaving in the shower.  She gets out and I come see if I need to help her.  She tells me, "It's okay, I know exactly what to do."  And she starts talking me through the steps of how to properly care for this cut.

Funny...But I'm thankful that she's learning something useful in school.  Sometimes our education is focused on stuff that is not practical to daily living.  At our house, these tips could come in very handy.  I'm hoping she'll learn animal care tips in Agricultural classes she'll have in the next few years.  We can only hope.

No comments: