Christmas is officially over for the Wilhoit's. We had our final Christmas exchange last night at Jay's parents house. It was extra special this year because Jay's brother is home from California. We only get to see him about once a year, if we're lucky, and sometimes it is at another family member's wedding. Everyone was there and we took some family photos...and then my camera died. Ha.
I am always soooo ready for the decorations to be put away and the living room back to normal. I don't mind the wintery decorations staying out (snowman, my sparkly church, etc) but the tree is just too bulky. Although I look forward to everything being back in order, I am reminded that my house is never "in order" or whatever that means.
And usually we have the kids go through their rooms and get rid of a few items (like 20) to make room for the new stuff. We haven't done that yet, but it is coming. It has to. As usual, they received way too much stuff and there is no room in the inn, so-to-speak. I have given Madolyn a little motivation...if she cleans her room totally, top to bottom, I will paint her walls. We shall see...I may regret that promise...
Every year I tell myself that I will purge my Christmas decorations and give away or toss out the ones I no longer use when it's time to get it all out and decorate. Every year when that time comes, I tell myself that I'll do it when I take the tree down and put things away because that makes more sense, of course. When that point arrives, I tell myself I cannot take anything Christmasy to the resale shop in town for two weeks (because they close and they don't really want Christmas things now) so I might as well just plan to go through it all next year when I get my stuff out for Christmas. Do you see the pattern?
And here's the kicker...This Friday Jay is having reconstructive ankle surgery, which means that this girl will be house-bound at least a few days tending to the needs of my patient...God, give me strength...and the decor and it's appointed location for storage is in the basement or attic...which is sort of perfect because both will be out of Jay's reach...and I'm not giving him a bell. This could be the exactly what I need to motivate my lazy be-hind. The only places I will be able to go within the house and still be semi-accessible to my patient are the basement and attic...my escape. I may never come out.
So how 'bout saying a few prayers for the Wilhoits this weekend? Specifically, that Jay & I don't kill one another, that I don't strangle Jay in his sleep, that the kids will give up a few (like 50) things, and that if I do retreat to the basement or attic to organize (of course), that I come back out...because eventually someone will notice I am missing, right...and eventually Jay's voice may give out...
Oh, and I think I'll hide Hank the Tank's salvation army bell...if Jay gets his hands on that this weekend...no, maybe I'll put it just out of his reach...wait, that would be mean, wouldn't it? Okay, prayers are appreciated :)
No comments:
Post a Comment