Don’t look out only for your own interests, but take an interest in others, too.
You must have the same attitude that Christ Jesus had. Phillipians 2:4-5 (NLT)
'Tis the Season for the Salvation Army bellringers. And this year we have our own little bellringer at the Wilhoit household. My son, Lane, thought that Hank the Tank II needed a minature cowbell for his collar. Of course, Jay thought this too was a brilliant idea. If you will recall, Hank the Tank II, though only six months of age, weighs nearly 70 lbs and is a humongous beast of a puppy. He also is a Lab and is active a/k/a hyper. Oh, and he's also in the house most of the time if we're home and he's not filthy or wet.
The jingle-jangle of the cowbell on the collar of a 70 lb active (hyper) puppy is somewhat...well, annoying. Even when he is drinking from his water dish, the bell is ringing non-stop. There is very little he can do without the bell ringing. We have an indoor-outdoor cat...Hank II loves to terrorize the Meepie so you can imagine the chasing going on...and the jingling of the bells...
So Jay started calling Hank II our very own little "Salvation Army." It made me laugh...then my mom mentioned at lunch that the S.A. is actually having as good a year as last year and last year was a big year for them. In the current economic state we're in, I think that is fantastic. I don't know about you but most of the time when I see or hear them, I'm not super excited. I'm sure several of you could agree with me that when we walk into a store and hear the bells ringing, a few thoughts come to mind..."Oh, brother, I'm going to have to give something or I'll look bad." "Should I tell them I gave somewhere else already this morning?" " Do not make eye contact, do not make eye contact." "Man, I bet it stinks to have to stand here ringing this bell asking for donations and have people not make eye contact with you."
I have had all of these thoughts. I have also never been a S.A. bellringer. My friend's mother was this year and she took her grandsons to help her out. Fortunately for them, they got to stand inside the store (out of the cold) and were only there a couple of hours. They actually didn't think it was that bad. I bet it's one of those things where your attitude can make or break a situation. Those folks ringing the bells are trying to make a difference in the world. They're doing something to try to help others, not themselves.
I'm thinking maybe next year I will sign myself and my kiddos up for a shift somewhere. I've learned that the best way to understand something from a different point of view is to change my perspective. Maybe if I'm standing there on the other side of the red metal Salvation Army container ringing the bell, I will appreciate it more...maybe I will stop having those not-so-nice thoughts when I hear the bells ringing...and maybe we should remove the cowbell from Hank the Tank II so I don't want to ring his little neck...
No comments:
Post a Comment