Thursday, December 29, 2011

Entertaining Angels

Stay on good terms with each other, held together by love. Be ready with a meal or a bed when it's needed. Why, some have extended hospitality to angels without ever knowing it!     Hebrews 13:1-2 (MSG)

I keep discovering new scripture.  New as in new to me.  I was starting a Nookbook and this scripture was the foreword.  I fell in love with it. How cool would it be to entertain an angel and not even know it?!  I hope and pray I get that opportunity, although I suppose, as the scripture says, I may never even know it!

Christmas morning at church, I was leading the services.  As I stood up looking out at everyone, I noticed a man sitting in the foyer on the church pew facing me.  He wasn't inside the sanctuary, just sitting out there watching.  He was dressed nice and looked like a friendly fellow.  When church was over, I glanced around to see where he was and who he "belonged" with because I didn't recognize him.  He was nowhere to be seen.  Another church member asked me if I saw him and knew who he was.  No, I did not.  So I inquired of my parents and some others.  No one else had noticed him.  I then commented that maybe he was an angel watching over us on Christmas morning!!  I guess we may never know.

I realize that it is unlikely a family would end up at my doorstep after becoming stranded, but I suppose it could happen.  I suppose a family could lose their home to a fire or something and need a place to stay to get on their feet.  Maybe car trouble in a small town with no hotel would give me the opportunity to open my home up to some strangers.  It may certainly be an inconvenience but what a wonderful opportunity to share God's love with someone.  It is hard to even think about doing something like that in this day and age where people are often mistrusting and skeptical of strangers.  That is where faith and prayer have to pick up the slack.  If God is sending an angel our way, we must be prepared to accept them, right?!

A couple of years ago, Jay was selling his truck.  We advertised it in the newspaper and sold it to a guy who was going to meet us about 30 miles away.  The plan was that Jay and Lane would drive the truck to the meeting spot and then Madolyn and I would come pick them up in my car.  Madolyn and I had only been on the interstate about three miles when I noticed a person walking along the side of the road.  It was raining.  There was quite a bit of traffic and it was chilly out.  Definitely not a nice day for a stroll.  Without a second's hesitation (and a moment of insanity, perhaps), I whipped off to the shoulder, put my blinkers on and asked the girl if she would like a ride.  I had seen an older car off the road about a half mile back and she was walking in the direction I was going.  The next town was only a couple miles away.

I never once thought about what I was doing or about the fact that my daughter was in the car with me.  I didn't have any of those thoughts swirling around in my head of what if she's a psycho, a serial killer, or some crazed drug addict ready to pounce on me.  I whispered a prayer, she climbed into the backseat and we went on down the road.  I asked her a few questions without being too pushy, and although she gave me somewhat vague answers, she was pleasant and appreciative.  We dropped her off at the gas station in the next town.   As soon as she got out, I thought, what in the world was I thinking?  And the thoughts started swarming. 

I chalked it up to one of those moments where God was in control of the situation.  He planted me in the right place at the very moment that girl needed a ride.  She needed someone safe to take her where she needed to go.  I would venture to guess that she probably was nervous about getting into the car with a complete stranger in a state she didn't live in too!  Do I routinely pick up hitchhikers or folks walking down the highways or roads?  Absolutely not.  But that day, there wasn't a moment's hesitation.  I'm hoping that is how it will always be, you know.  Like we'll just know this is what we have to do.

I hope that I am becoming that person that is accepting of others and ready to extend a hand when someone is in need.  And I want my home to feel like a safe and welcoming place for people to be as well.  I want it to be open and ready to extend hospitality to angels.  Our church should be that place as well, welcome, inviting, comfortable.  Just like the man on Christmas morning, we have to be ready to accept new folks into our families, make them feel like they are belong there, not outsiders.  You know like try scooting on over from YOUR spot in YOUR pew (even though you've sat in that very spot for years) to make room for another.  Attempt to greet the newcomer that sneaks in just a little late and invite them back.  Be interested in hearing about them if they're willing to share.  Extend a hand.

I challenge you as the new year begins to open yourselves up to the idea of accepting and helping others in need.  Often the lesson to be learned is not one you are giving, it is the one you are receiving.  I so hope that some day I will have accepted our call to extend hospitality to angels!

1 comment:

Andrea said...

"And I want my home to feel like a safe and welcoming place for people to be as well. I want it to be open and ready to extend hospitality to angels. Our church should be that place as well, welcome, inviting, comfortable."

Beautiful. I am right there with you.