Friday, September 28, 2012

Overly organized

I am one of those people who likes to think they're organized when they're not, and when I am truly organized, I sure don't feel like it.  Last week, I felt like I was on top of things.  I had already made plans to take Friday afternoon off.  The kids were getting out of school early, the local farmer's market was that afternoon and that evening I was to sell sandwiches and hotdogs at the home football game for the booster club.  I was all over it.

I am a procrastinator, no question....but I also like to plan ahead...does that make any sense at all?  And I like to do one thing at a time if I'm feeling overwhelmed.  Get through A, then move onto B, even if it's a last-minute thing.  Yes, that is how I work.

I ordered the BBQ from the best caterer in the world earlier in the week (ha, we had both forgotten that I had asked her about it a couple weeks ago and then it crept up on us).  On Thursday over my lunch hour, I made a flying trip to Terre Haute to hit Sam's and get hotdogs & cheap buns, lots of them, for the football game.  I'm all over this...

Immediately upon my return from lunch at Sam's, I get on Facebook only to see that the football game has been cancelled because the other team forfeited.  Man...I have 80+ hamburger buns and 60+ hotdog buns in my truck right now.  What in the world am I going to do with all of this stuff?  Ahhh. 

I text the caterer right away, telling her if she hasn't started the BBQ, to stop the press!  Fortunately, for me, she texted back that she hadn't pulled the pork yet and could use it for something she had going on the next week so it was not a total disaster.  I commented back to her how great that was, now if I had something to do with these buns!  To which she replied, I could use 65 of them.  SWEET.

So our 4-H club tries to do a bake sale at these monthly farmer's markets in Martinsville.  Again, the leader and I were all over it.  She sent out a text and email reminding everyone about it (because it always creeps up on us).  I baked a cake on Thursday night with plans to cook up something else the next afternoon since I was getting off work early.  Madolyn would ice her cake the next day after it cooled over night.  We were so prepared it's not even funny.

I updated my status announcing that the 4H club would have the bake sale at the farmer's market and reminding everyone in the community to come out and support the locals...and then the texts and facebook messages start...um, that's next Friday.  This week's farmer's market is in Westfield.  Geesh. 

So now I have Friday afternoon off, there's no farmer's market and no football game.  I have an iced cake and a bunch of hotdog buns (which is so much better than it could have been).  I ended up picking up a couple of Lane's friends from school and coming home to let them play.  I cooked up some freezer meals and found a home for the hotdog buns and iced cake...thanks to the cancelled football game and the team having a mandatory cookout;) 

With suddenly a free evening, Jay and I went to Terre Haute for supper and then headed to Lowe's to buy this truck toolbox he has been eyeing for months.  He had researched and checked with someone else who had one, just to make sure this was the toolbox he wanted for his truck.  He had the money, he was ready.  We had been to Lowe's a few weeks before looking at them and knew they had them.  Off we went to Lowe's.

We get separated in the store and I find him standing in the toolbox aisle.  As I walk down the aisle to where he's standing, I immediately see an empty spot and start laughing...totally joking I say, "So I suppose the one you want is where that empty spot is on the shelf?"  And I was right.  They had many shapes and sizes but not the one Jay wanted.  We both had to laugh.  Seems that that is just how the last 24 hours had went. 

Oh well, that's what you get for being overly prepared, I guess.  Maybe it's best I return to normal.  (BTW, tonight is the farmer's market in town...and I have my stuff ready to go on the counter...oh yeah.)

No comments: