Tuesday, September 18, 2012

I am starting to get...

a cramp in my arm from patting myself on the back.  Ha!  This weekend I conquered a fear or a goal of mine.  I, Sarah, hooked my truck up to our camper, drove it to the campground (which I had done once before), pulled it into a camping spot (drive-through, thank you, Jesus, no backing required), got the camper off the truck, leveled it somewhat, camped overnight, hooked the camper back up to my truck and got it back home safely in one piece.

Jay is scheduled to work two weekends a month.  For HIS benefit, I picked last Saturday night, while he was working, to let Madolyn have her very-belated-slumber-party-camp-out.  (He really should thank me.)  I gathered up five 12-year-old girls and Lane, loaded up the camper and headed to the campground.  (Lane had a friend come later that evening so he wouldn't be completely tortured!) 

There was a slight snafu with the hitch.  Apparently I didn't do something vitally important with the ball hitch to completely attach it, but it didn't seem to matter a whole lot considering we made it over there without losing the camper.  I must say I/we had quite a time getting the camper unhooked...and finally, I had to just remove the hitch mechanism from the truck, leaving the ball attached to the camper.  When Jay came after work, he messed with it, noticed what I had done (my texts relaying my interpretations weren't clear, imagine that) and got me fixed right up.  I think he was still amazed that I hadn't lost the camper...what can I say?  Ha.

One of Mad's girlfriends is quite the little hand...She helped me and I was thankful for that.  There was a point while trying to get unhooked that Madolyn said, "Mom, everyone is just staring at us."  How typical is that...there were 45 camping spots taken and no one offered to come help a mom and six children!  Ahh, the DNR guy drove by once and I thought for sure he would stop, nope, he kept on going.  Right after we got the hitch unhooked from the truck, the camp host came by for check-in, he asked me how I was doing.  I said, "I'm fine now.  Five minutes ago I sure could've used some help." 

I completed check-in, got the camper as level as possible and plugged us into the electrical outlet.  Power, check.  Now for the water.  Where is the spigot?  WAY OVER THERE...will the hose reach?  Nope.  Oh well, there is NO way I was hooking back up and moving two feet.  NO way.  Good news.  When I ran to Wal-mart for a couple things, I picked up a six-foot hose for $4.97.  Worked perfectly and now we'll have one for next time...although I know that Jay would never let that happen.  Water for dishes, check.

Now for the fire.  After pouring almost an entire bottle of lighter fluid on our wood, Lane and I had about given up.  A different friend of Mad's came and sat down.  She took one look at the fire ring and said, "There's no oxygen getting to the fire.  It won't light without air."  Duh, why didn't I think of that?  Maybe 12-yr-old girls do know everything?  I move the fire ring and it takes off.  Great fire, check.

We had tried to bring Hank the Tank II with us for his first camp-out (since I had the bed to myself, there was room for the big guy), but he would not get in the truck.  Typical.  He always wants to go.  Right before we left, the kids had worn him out with the golf cart and I think he was nearing a heart attack.  He would not get up off the garage floor no matter what we tried.  Even his favorite treat did not budge him much.  All kidding aside, I was thankful when Jay texted later that he was still alive 'cause we know how that goes sometimes. 

The weather was perfect to be sitting around a fire.  My parents came out and ate chili and hot dogs with us.  Jay came after he got off work and stayed until bedtime.  Lane's buddy was dropped off by his dad and he stayed to visit for a while too.  Even though the park was full, it was pleasant.  The kids were pretty good...although I don't think the girls got much sleep in the tent.  Every hour I'd text them to be quiet because I could hear them from my warm, cozy bed.  My last text was 1:30 a.m.  Either I gave up or they did.

We had biscuits (okay, so I use bread camping because I don't have an oven) and sausage gravy for breakfast and loaded up.  It was a good experience for me.  I have come to the conclusion that when I am forced to do things on my own, I figure it out...otherwise, I just let Jay do it.  I need to choose what I learn to do carefully or I will know everything...ha!

1 comment:

apronsandappetites said...

OMG!!! I had to comment on this one. hahahaha So glad you accomplished your goal... and DID NOT lose the camper.

Nothing like an independent woman!!