Something is going on with our Dwarf Hamster from Kenya, Oreo. A couple months ago I noticed that the hair on his rear-end was disappearing. The hair line is getting higher and higher. I've kept close watch, peering at him through the cage, trying to see if there was a sore or something causing the hair loss. I cannot see anything unusual...other than no hair covering his back quarter.
Two weeks ago, I studied online...you know, I googled the subject matter and saw a picture of a hamster that looked exactly like Oreo with the hair loss. I was encouraged because at least I knew that we weren't the only ones with this problem. Suggestions included changing the bedding because some pine shavings can have oils on them which irritate the hamster's skin thereby causing hair loss; removing the wheel (yes, thank you, since the little Kenyan likes to run all night on that thing) because maybe he is bumping his little bottom on the wheel causing the hair loss; mites, which means you take him to the vet for an expensive remedy; more protein, try broccoli (which he refuses to eat).
Immediately we cleaned out his cage and replaced the bedding, although we used the horse bedding and I'm not so sure it doesn't have oils on it too. We also removed the wheel, which Jay thought was cruel and unusual punishment, "that is what he lives for." This from Jay who is feeling sorry for the dwarf hamster, go figure. I tried to give him broccoli and he didn't eat it, or at least not much of it, and I gave him a snow pea. It wasn't a real winner either.
Two weeks of this and no sign of improvement. Sunday night we put the wheel back in, sure that he was suffering depression. At night he would run around in his cage like he was freaking out, but really he was trying to get his exercise, I imagine. He seemed pleased to have his exercise wheel and gave it a good work-out once the lights went out and it was bedtime. Quickly he was removed to the washing machine in the back because I cannot take the noise at night.
Monday night, I stopped to say hello to the little guy and I noticed that he was kind of carrying his right front paw and it looked a little red or irritated. He will hardly hold still long enough to get a good look...and you can't hold him because he likes to bite. (He's a great little pet, I tell you...not. We should've gotten a guinea pig like I wanted;) So now his foot is messed up. I slipped him a carrot hoping that would cheer him up, or at least improve his eyesight, I guess, I don't know. Jay thought his wheel was sounding funky like it wasn't running freely. (Good heavens, it runs freely all night long.) I gave it a spin and it is in fine working order. His diagnosis: Oreo caught his right front paw in the wheel running last night's 5k.
It did not deter the fitness guru. As soon as the lights went out, he was on the wheel running to Chicago, maybe in hopes of rescusing some bored children who aren't in school right now? I have no clue what is wrong with him. Obviously, we have a problem with his skin or hair. I plan on buying him some 'natural' bedding with no dyes or oils next shopping trip. Jay thought maybe we should just let him loose in the woods. Yeah, that's a great idea. He should heal up in no time.
No comments:
Post a Comment