Tuesday, September 11, 2012

America the Beautiful

Blessed is the nation whose God is the LORD, the people he chose for his inheritance.  Psalms 33:12 (NIV)

Today is September 11, 2012.  I am guessing there are very few Americans who don't know what this date signifies.  It has been 11 years since the terrorist attack on our country, yet it doesn't feel like it has been that long.  Yesterday, Madolyn's class started watching a movie at school based on 9/11 and she is engrossed in it.  She could not wait to finish watching it.  It's so odd to think that when that happened, she was only a year old and Lane was not even in existence!   I am glad that she is being exposed to that history...crazy to think that is now history...important, significant history. 

Last night at the volleyball game, as I was standing during the National Anthem, I wondered...do the kids in this gym know the words to this song, our country's theme song?  I meant to ask my kids on the way home and I forgot.  I hope that is something they are taught in music class at the grade school.  I am sure that's where I learned it.  We learned all those patriotic songs. 

I now put my hand on my heart when the National Anthem is played and I sing/whisper the words of the song.  Five years ago, I wouldn't have because I would've thought it was dorky.  If you look around at people, most do not have their hands on their heart.  I suppose it may not mean anything negative, but, for me, it's a significant symbol of the love and respect I have for my country and the many, many soldiers who have fought for our freedom. 

It's funny, when you're a kid, the Pledge of Allegiance is so important, but as an adult, how many times do we recite it?  Very little.  And usually if I have, it's because I was at an event involving children (such as bible school).  Why do we  feel like the Pledge is only important to children?  I believe they still do the Pledge of Allegiance every day during school.  I think at one time they had stopped it or made it optional...maybe I am wrong on that.  Regardless, I hope they do it and can recite the Pledge verbatim without hesitation and with their hand on their heart.  To me, the Pledge of Allegiance is like a prayer for our country.

I am an American Christian citizen and proud of it.  Today, as you think about those that lost loved ones and sacrificed on September 11 and many other times, sing the National Anthem and repeat the Pledge of Allegiance.  Be proud of and in prayer for our country, America the Beautiful.

No comments: