Thursday, April 3, 2014

Too much tingle

It is with a heavy heart, sore wrists and tingly arms that I write this, I must stop knitting for a while...hopefully, it is temporary and the damage can repair itself. After fighting sore wrists and tingly, numb arms for several weeks, I broke down and went to the King.  I was never a believer in chiropractors until I was desperate a few years ago and a couple visits to him fixed me right up.  He isn't one who strings you along, he tells you like it is and that's that.  I value his opinion and he has a good reputation.  The one sure test for carpal tunnel I failed on both wrists.  It's not serious or anything yet, but I need to get a grip.

It's a combination of things, of course, it's not just the knitting (right?  Please, say no!).  I sit a lot in one position for long periods of time.  My head is usually down or tilted downward and it puts a lot of pressure on my neck, which is causing me fits. I don't think that ergonomically the desk set-up I inherited (although very nice) is good for me either.  I hate to complain about my very lush office (it is to me) and probably won't...so today I have raised my keyboard higher and will try very hard to sit up straight in this very big chair.  And if you happen to drop by my office today, you might find me staring at the ceiling to keep my neck up and not down.

I'm a stomach sleeper.  I told you about my magic towel curing me last fall, remember?   Well, my neck quit hurting so bad and I got rid of that towel in my bed, but the King says to put it back.  Quit sleeping on my stomach.  Ugh.  I like to put my hands and arms above my head when I sleep...and they are falling asleep and numb when I wake up.

Last night when I got home, I took all my knitting projects and yarn paraphernalia (which is strewn all over the place) and put them in the office.  I must not even be tempted to finish the brim on that hat that will only take me an hour.  I told my kids and the youth group, if I was a crier, I would've cried.  It's not the end of the world or anything, but I really love knitting.  It's too bad I can't just sit at home and be a professional knitter (one of my youth group girls said I looked like a competitive knitter last week:)  The fact of the matter is I need to keep my job, so I need to get my priorities in line...plus, it's affecting my sleep and things like just driving the car.

Moderation is what always trips me up.  Stupid Moderation.  Who wants to knit just once a month?  Not obsessive Sarah.  Every spare minute of the day may have been overkill, but I thought it was harmless.  Snap.

So say a prayer for me and my arms/wrists as I try to give them a break, sit up straighter, sleep on my side or back (puke) and hold my head high.  If you see me and think I'm trying to stick my nose in the air and push my chest out, know that I'm doing whatever it takes to get back to my beloved yarn.

1 comment:

Kathy said...

Oh shoot!! I'm sorry to hear about this. :-( And for what it's worth, I think I remember Dr. King telling Karen that office set up wasn't good for her either. Time for a new chair and preferable one without arm rests. I'm pretty sure that's what he told her?