Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Knitter's ADD

I have no idea if such a thing exists...and I suppose if I googled it, I would find out.  Maybe I will.  Maybe I don't want to know.  I'm pretty sure I'm a sufferer regardless.

We all know I have a knitting addiction...and I have moved on into another level of that addiction...Attention Deficit Disorder.  I find myself starting lots of projects, getting bored or seeing something new and cute, dropping the first project and beginning the second...only to, once again, find myself bored and have someone ask me to make something - bang, I've moved on again...thereby creating a small collection of unfinished knitting projects.

I started my first pair of finger-less gloves way, way back.  I want to say I started them in October.  I know. It's shameful.  I finished one glove with a little help from my friends...started the second and it remains in a little gift bag waiting for me to wrap it up. You don't even want to know how close I am to finishing it.  My problem:  I forgot what I learned to do the thumb and will have to ask for help to finish it and I just don't really want to.  Partly because, I have since moved on.  If I would just take an hour out of my life and work on it, they would be done.  Maybe even less than one hour.  Silliness.

I love making hats.  And I think I like them because they're quick.  I remember when I first started knitting, of course, all I could knit was a scarf.  Nice straight lines that could go on and on and on forever.  Then I learned how very simple it was to make a hat and jumped right into the Fair Isle patterns, which are somewhat difficult, but challenging and beautiful.  They are, by far, my favorite type of hat to make.  I like mixing the colors and following charts.  (Wow, that sounds weird.)

After making plenty of hats and a few cowls or infinity scarves (which, again, I like because they're pretty quick), I forced myself to transition back to scarves...after all, it is Spring (sort of) and people won't be wearing wool caps and beanies (well, in theory we shouldn't be) anymore.   Oh my goodness, scarves are sooooo boring.  I found some real cute holey patterns that look springy and I did finally complete two...but I won't even tell you how many I started and pulled back out because I got bored with it, found a mistake that I wouldn't let slide, found a new cuter pattern, etc.

I had someone ask me to make a couple chemo hats recently, so I had to, of course, stop the scarf I was working on and dig into the hat.  (By the way, that is not a complaint, I love making specific things for people.)  I can always come back to that pesky scarf.

If my memory is correct, at the present time, I have one cowl, two scarves, a finger-less glove and two hats in my exclusive, unfinished project pile.  It is pitiful that I can't just finish one thing before I start another.  This has always been a problem of mine.  Re: scrapbooking, photo albums, flower beds...please don't make me go on.

The same could be said for yarn.  (Yarn ADD?)  I walk into the yarn store for specific yarn, see all those beautiful colors and fibers...and oh my word.  I fall apart.  What did I come in here to buy anyway?  Hmm.   Oh well, I'll just get some of this and some of that.  And guess what?  I never have what I need.  My family begs to differ.

So I'm challenging myself to (starting next week, of course) finish projects before starting new ones, and use up some of the yarn I have at home - even if I'm making cold-weather hats for next year - because it's out of control...just a little.  Now, if I get requests, I must do what the people want...which may require me to stop whatever I'm doing and buy new beautiful yarn.



No comments: