I was sitting here participating in one of my odd obsessions and I began to wonder if anyone has some of the same obsessions. My family thinks I'm weird. Maybe I am. I'm comfortable with that.
Weird Obsession No. 1 - I am slightly obsessed with cutting my split ends. I am pretty good about getting my hair trimmed every six to eight weeks, but "Ashley" can't catch everything. Do you know how many hairs are on the top of your head?! (Only God knows...haha, I could not resist that one.) I feel like I am obligated to help her out. I don't really have a hairstyle, per se, but I do flat-iron my hair after I blow dry it. (No heat damage there, huh?!) It seems to take a toll on the ends of my hair...and they divide...and then I conquer. (I know, I just had to.) I always have a pair of small, sharp scissors handy in my purse to clip those pesky splits. Do you know how hard it is to refrain from snipping one off at first site?
There I am, minding my own business in church or out in public somewhere, when, out of the corner of my eye, I see it - a nasty, double (or heaven-forbid a triple) split-end. Thoughts swirl in my head: I can't do it, not now. It's not appropriate. People will think I'm weird. But what if I don't find it later? What if I forget to look? That thing will split time and time again and spread like cancer through my hair...Early detection is the key.
Sometimes the feelings take over my common sense and I do it - I sneak a snip.
The other day on the way home from town, I looked over at Madolyn in the passenger seat and there it was just blowing in the wind (or the air from the vent) - a monstrosity of a split. It could even have been a quadruple whammy. I simply couldn't help myself. I got my scissors out and cut that nasty thing right off. Of course, she made some comments, but I am only try to help, you know.
Then we laughed, can't you just see it...
Officer: So what caused you to go in the ditch? Were you texting?
Me: No.
Officer: Were you talking on your cell phone without a hands-free device?
Me: No.
Officer: Well, then, how did you just run off the road and careen into the ditch?
Me: I was trying to cut a really bad split end out of my daughter's hair...
Okay, so maybe that is going a little too far. Perhaps trimming hair while driving down the road is a little dangerous, which could lead to a hair-splitting incident (again, HA). And maybe cutting a split-end off when I'm out in public is a little gross and inappropriate. But, hey, who wants to split hairs...
No comments:
Post a Comment