Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Cigar Box Treasures


My mother was cleaning her closets and came upon a small, old cigar box.  And look what she found - a treasure.
Assortment of DPN's

I know, how awesome is that?  She said to me, "I have this box of needles, but you probably already have the needles and don't need them." Mother, good heavens, no.  Knitters always NEED more needles.  Now, six months ago, I could've saved a good chunk of moola if this treasure trove had been discovered sooner, but I'm delighted nonetheless.  I immediately used some of the #7 DPN's (ha, that is knitter lingo) on a hat I was making.


As I have told you, my Grandma Lynch was a knitter.  She didn't go many places without her knitting bag and whatever project she was currently working on.  I so wish she were alive and well and could visit the Yarn Studio with me.  I think she would be in awe of the beautiful yarns on display.  I'm a yarn snob now, so I've been told.  I simply cannot bear to knit with cheap yarn.  I don't like the feel of it on my fingers, I don't like the way it knits, I don't always like the finished product, etc.  I don't think Grandma had access to all these fancy yarns.

The Yarn Studio gal tells me I'm a naturalist - I prefer the natural fibers.  Hmm, I don't know why, but that made me feel kind of cool.  And in the past when I thought of a naturalist, I imagined people running around naked, eating berries and gnawing on roots.  Please don't misinterpret my words - I'm not that kind of naturalist.

Mom thought she had gotten rid of most of grandma's knitting supplies a long time ago.  I'm sure we were all asked if we wanted anything, and I'm sure that at least I said no, as in no way, I'm never going to knit.  Ha. You know the saying, Never say never.



Lane was digging through the box and its contents (unimpressed by the assortment of DPN's) and found a matchbook from my Grandma & Grandpa Lynch's 50th wedding anniversary party.  He picks it up and asks what it is, I tell him and then he says, "Are they real matches?  I mean, do they really work?"  Funny.  Yes, they sure do.  And of course, he struck one immediately.  He can hardly resist a fire.

Okay,  now back to something that I was reminded of by the first main paragraph.  If I ever became a famous knitter (shush - it could happen, you know), I would like my stuff to be under the name of Neadmore Knitting.  Ha!  Do you get it?  If you're not a local, you may not realize that I live near the old Neadmore grocery store.  I thought that was super clever and a wonderful play on words or pun or whatever.  You know...Everyone needs more knitting!

No comments: