Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Best coffee ever

Jay has found the key to the 'best coffee ever.'   The five-cup percolator I inherited from Grandma Great.




When Grandma decided it was time to clean out her house, it was a free-for-all.  Her stuff was put in the garage and we could pick through and get whatever we wanted.  It may sound kind of harsh, but it's just stuff, it had to go somewhere, and we might as well get what we want before it goes to the second-hand store.

We had just gotten our first camper and I was fortunate enough to pretty much stock that baby with tools of the trade from Grandma Great's kitchen.  The percolator was one little treasure I had to have.  I remember having many 'tea' parties with this thing, pouring pop, tea or juice in there and then filling small Cabbage Patch Kid brand tea cups for my parties.   My grandma had these glass shot-glasses that us grandkids loved to drink from and I remember using this coffee pot to fill those up too.

So I've attempted to make coffee in this mini pot several times on camping trips and it worked for the most part.  (When you're desperate for coffee, won't you drink almost anything?  Yep, Jay drank it.)  Recently we sold our camper and I had to clean it out.  This little guy had been sitting on our counter for a week or so when Jay decided to give it a try.  After several attempts at getting it just right, he discovered that this five-cup percolator makes the best coffee ever.

He can't quite "put his finger" on it, but it just tastes better.  The added bonus:  We don't have five cups of coffee sitting in the coffee pot waiting to be thrown out every day.  Jay only drinks about five cups, but has to have ten cups made in the big coffee maker for it to taste right.  (Believe me, I have tried to make half a batch and he has busted me every time.  Strange.  Whatever.)

There's something special about using an item like this, isn't there?  I love it when I look around and see things that have meaning.  (They didn't just come from the local Wal-Mart.)  Even something as simple as a five-cup percolator has 'great value.'

No comments: